The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Did Team A do anything wrong?

The horn sounds ending the 1st quarter. The Head Coach for Team A is disappointed in the performance of his team and wants to give yell at them. So he takes his team into the hallway so the fans can't see nor hear him. He gets the team back to the bench and onto the court before the start of the 2nd quarter. Violation? Foul? Nothing?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Yep.

Rule 10-5-5: The head coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason.

This would not qualify as an authorized reason IMO.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 10:46pm
Play through it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Yep.

Rule 10-5-5: The head coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason.

This would not qualify as an authorized reason IMO.
I agree 110%
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:13pm
Back from the DL

A step further: While the coach is in the hallway, you can hear him using profanity. Two whacks?
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Is there a rule that says the coach has to keep is team in the playing area during an intermission?
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Is there a rule that says the coach has to keep is team in the playing area during an intermission?
I believe he is restricted to the TO area except at half time. I'll have to check tonight when I get home if no one else confirms this .
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
A step further: While the coach is in the hallway, you can hear him using profanity. Two whacks?
I'll just go with the one.

The second will likely come on its own when you let him know about the first.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Depends On What The Meaning Of The Words Is Is (Bill Clinton) ...

Quote:
It depends on how one defines "unauthorized reason".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 01:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I believe he is restricted to the TO area except at half time. I'll have to check tonight when I get home if no one else confirms this .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It depends on how one defines "unauthorized reason".
I'm more looking for what the artist formerly known as Snaqwells is referring to, when a team is allowed to leave bench area.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 01:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pennsylvania Of The West ...

Quote:
I'm more looking for what the artist formerly known as Snaqwells is referring to, when a team is allowed to leave bench area.
I'm sure that we can all agree that the halftime intermission would be one of those "authorized" times. We also know, based on a recent interpretation, that the team is not allowed to leave the bench area with no time on the clock in the second period when free throws are to be taken by the opponent before halftime.

Any other authorized reason? As I've said before, pretend that I'm from Missouri.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 01:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm sure that we can all agree that the halftime intermission would be one of those "authorized" times. We also know, based on a recent interpretation, that the team is not allowed to leave the bench area with no time on the clock in the second period when free throws are to be taken by the opponent before halftime.

Any other authorized reason? As I've said before, pretend that I'm from Missouri.
Halftime is an intermission. The 1 minute period between the 1st & 2nd/3rd & 4th quarter is an intermission. Are teams allowed to leave the bench area during all intermissions?

I'm not asking about "authorized reasons", I'm asking about the timeframes teams are allowed to leave the bench area.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 01:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who's Going To Step Up ???

Quote:
Are teams allowed to leave the bench area during all intermissions?
Good question.

I've been perusing the rules, and caseplays, and I can't find any language that states that they are allowed to leave the bench area during the halftime intermission. Can the halftime intermission be an authorized reason because of tradition, with no specific rule reference?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 01:44pm.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 01:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tradition (Fiddler On The Roof) ...

Quote:
I'm not asking about "authorized reasons", I'm asking about the time frames teams are allowed to leave the bench area.
You have to ask about "authorized reasons", there's no way around it, because that's the only rule reference, that I can find, that allows teams to leave the bench area.

So the question, essentially, becomes, what are these authorized reasons, and I cannot find any rule reference to a single authorized reason, not even the halftime intermission. But we let them leave anyway. Why?

The scene opens in a small, rural, high school gymnasium, poorly lighted, half filled with spectators. The halftime buzzer sounds. Coach, wearing a plaid sports jacket, holding a rolled up game program: "Hey Mr. BillyMac. Does my team have your permission to leave the bench area and go to the locker room for our halftime intermission meeting?" BillyMac: "Just let me look through my handy, pocket sized, rulebook coach. I don't see a list of authorized reasons, nor do I see such a list in my handy, pocket sized, casebook, so, no, you can't leave".

Yeah? Like that's really going to happen, because if it did, I would never work another game for the rest of my life.

Now let's twist the situation around for one of the other two intermissions. Now it becomes a more realistic scene, maybe with an Academy Award winning performance by BillyMac. I could just see it now: "I'd like to thank all the little people, like the point guards, who made this possible".

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 02:17pm.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 02:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Check rule 10 where it prohibits the coach from taking his team away from the bench area. My book is at home, and I'm at work, so I can't check. I was thinking it said "except half time", but I could be way off.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Check rule 10 where it prohibits the coach from taking his team away from the bench area. My book is at home, and I'm at work, so I can't check. I was thinking it said "except half time", but I could be way off.
10.5.5:

"The head coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason."

No mention of exceptions.