The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

The end of court storming?

NCAAM Gamecast - New Mexico State vs Utah Valley

Wondering if the NCAA will now come out with some regulations preventing fans from rushing the court after games.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 07:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I hope so.

I saw this and was wondering the same thing. Someone is going to get seriously hurt and then there will be a law suit, blah, blah, blah.....

A one-time, instantaneous celebration and show of exuberance and support has now turned into a pre-calculated opportunity at hooliganism and chance to get on Sports Center. (Ya know, kinda like the Gatorade shower).

Off soap box.

Last edited by grunewar; Fri Feb 28, 2014 at 09:15am.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

If the officials were still on the floor, IMHO they should have given #12 a flagrant foul for throwing the ball at an opposing player. If they had left the floor already, the conference should suspend #12 for one game. #25 should be suspended for at least 3 games for punching a fan, and then running like a coward.

And I am in total agreement about the rushing the floor issue. I'm surprised this does not happen more often. While the conferences and/or NCAA must work on this issue, if you as a fan rush the court, I have no pity for you if you get clocked. Stay off the floor.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
If the officials were still on the floor, IMHO they should have given #12 a flagrant foul for throwing the ball at an opposing player. If they had left the floor already, the conference should suspend #12 for one game. #25 should be suspended for at least 3 games for punching a fan, and then running like a coward.
Why would/should they be still want/need to be on on the floor??
The game was over. You expect them to stand in that middle scene so they can issue T's?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 11:19am
TODO: creative title here

Look at the video... the officials were still on the floor when the kerfuffle started.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

I'm betting the WAC office gets involved and hands some sort of suspension out here.I hope that more conferences take the SEC's approach to storming fields/courts-fine the member institution in the aftermath of this incident.Maybe the Coaches get involved in their off-season meetings and make a rule change?
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Why would/should they be still want/need to be on on the floor??
The game was over. You expect them to stand in that middle scene so they can issue T's?
I didn't read him saying he expected that at all.

However, they WERE still on the court.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Update on last night's brawl-
NMSU suspends player for throwing ball at Utah Valley player - CBSSports.com
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 01:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I'm betting the WAC office gets involved and hands some sort of suspension out here.I hope that more conferences take the SEC's approach to storming fields/courts-fine the member institution in the aftermath of this incident.Maybe the Coaches get involved in their off-season meetings and make a rule change?
What sort of a rule change to the game would have any effect on this at all?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
What sort of a rule change to the game would have any effect on this at all?
Agreed, I don't think you could change a game rule to prevent something like this, it would have to be a conference-to-conference administrative rule or something like that.

That said, we all know the rules state that the jurisdiction has not yet ended as the officials were still on the court, would anyone call a flagrant (or anything else) during this scenario??
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Knee jerk reaction is to get rid of storming the court. The proper reaction is to punish the idiots that started and escalated this.

Pegging the opponent. STUPID
Charging 100+ fans of the opposing team. STUPID
Going after a home player who said something to idiot #1 who chucked the ball. STUPID

The problem isn't the act of storming the court, which has happened hundreds of times without incident, it's the act of a small handfull of guys that can't control themselves and do STUPID things.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Agreed, I don't think you could change a game rule to prevent something like this, it would have to be a conference-to-conference administrative rule or something like that.

That said, we all know the rules state that the jurisdiction has not yet ended as the officials were still on the court, would anyone call a flagrant (or anything else) during this scenario??
Yes! The ball toss would get a flagrant from me. In what ensues after that...I would most likely be at a loss as to what to do to whom, unless replay is allowed the dodge ball superstar is the only one I would most likely get.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Yes! The ball toss would get a flagrant from me. In what ensues after that...I would most likely be at a loss as to what to do to whom, unless replay is allowed the dodge ball superstar is the only one I would most likely get.
My fault, I didn't word that question very clearly, I agree that I'd likely nail the kid who threw the ball, what I really meant to ask is would you try to use your jurisdiction as an official to penalize the actions that ensued AFTER the ball toss?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

I did a pre-season scrimmage between these two schools and it went well. Makes me wonder what on earth happened in this game. I am so happy Utah will be known as the first school to have a student go down and hit an opposing player...

*hides*
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 06:34pm
9 times

I happened to see one of the three officials this morning in the SLC Airport. We talked for a few minutes about the game and what happened. What a mess.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019