The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The end of court storming? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97396-end-court-storming.html)

Nevadaref Fri Feb 28, 2014 07:11am

The end of court storming?

NCAAM Gamecast - New Mexico State vs Utah Valley

Wondering if the NCAA will now come out with some regulations preventing fans from rushing the court after games.

grunewar Fri Feb 28, 2014 07:25am

I hope so.

I saw this and was wondering the same thing. Someone is going to get seriously hurt and then there will be a law suit, blah, blah, blah.....

A one-time, instantaneous celebration and show of exuberance and support has now turned into a pre-calculated opportunity at hooliganism and chance to get on Sports Center. (Ya know, kinda like the Gatorade shower).

Off soap box. :(

TriggerMN Fri Feb 28, 2014 08:51am

If the officials were still on the floor, IMHO they should have given #12 a flagrant foul for throwing the ball at an opposing player. If they had left the floor already, the conference should suspend #12 for one game. #25 should be suspended for at least 3 games for punching a fan, and then running like a coward.

And I am in total agreement about the rushing the floor issue. I'm surprised this does not happen more often. While the conferences and/or NCAA must work on this issue, if you as a fan rush the court, I have no pity for you if you get clocked. Stay off the floor.

KJUmp Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriggerMN (Post 925005)
If the officials were still on the floor, IMHO they should have given #12 a flagrant foul for throwing the ball at an opposing player. If they had left the floor already, the conference should suspend #12 for one game. #25 should be suspended for at least 3 games for punching a fan, and then running like a coward.

Why would/should they be still want/need to be on on the floor??
The game was over. You expect them to stand in that middle scene so they can issue T's?

jTheUmp Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:19am

Look at the video... the officials were still on the floor when the kerfuffle started.

SCalScoreKeeper Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:32am

I'm betting the WAC office gets involved and hands some sort of suspension out here.I hope that more conferences take the SEC's approach to storming fields/courts-fine the member institution in the aftermath of this incident.Maybe the Coaches get involved in their off-season meetings and make a rule change?

MD Longhorn Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 925025)
Why would/should they be still want/need to be on on the floor??
The game was over. You expect them to stand in that middle scene so they can issue T's?

I didn't read him saying he expected that at all.

However, they WERE still on the court.

SCalScoreKeeper Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58pm

Update on last night's brawl-
NMSU suspends player for throwing ball at Utah Valley player - CBSSports.com

Adam Fri Feb 28, 2014 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 925030)
I'm betting the WAC office gets involved and hands some sort of suspension out here.I hope that more conferences take the SEC's approach to storming fields/courts-fine the member institution in the aftermath of this incident.Maybe the Coaches get involved in their off-season meetings and make a rule change?

What sort of a rule change to the game would have any effect on this at all?

frezer11 Fri Feb 28, 2014 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 925039)
What sort of a rule change to the game would have any effect on this at all?

Agreed, I don't think you could change a game rule to prevent something like this, it would have to be a conference-to-conference administrative rule or something like that.

That said, we all know the rules state that the jurisdiction has not yet ended as the officials were still on the court, would anyone call a flagrant (or anything else) during this scenario??

deecee Fri Feb 28, 2014 02:02pm

Knee jerk reaction is to get rid of storming the court. The proper reaction is to punish the idiots that started and escalated this.

Pegging the opponent. STUPID
Charging 100+ fans of the opposing team. STUPID
Going after a home player who said something to idiot #1 who chucked the ball. STUPID

The problem isn't the act of storming the court, which has happened hundreds of times without incident, it's the act of a small handfull of guys that can't control themselves and do STUPID things.

deecee Fri Feb 28, 2014 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 925042)
Agreed, I don't think you could change a game rule to prevent something like this, it would have to be a conference-to-conference administrative rule or something like that.

That said, we all know the rules state that the jurisdiction has not yet ended as the officials were still on the court, would anyone call a flagrant (or anything else) during this scenario??

Yes! The ball toss would get a flagrant from me. In what ensues after that...I would most likely be at a loss as to what to do to whom, unless replay is allowed the dodge ball superstar is the only one I would most likely get.

frezer11 Fri Feb 28, 2014 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 925044)
Yes! The ball toss would get a flagrant from me. In what ensues after that...I would most likely be at a loss as to what to do to whom, unless replay is allowed the dodge ball superstar is the only one I would most likely get.

My fault, I didn't word that question very clearly, I agree that I'd likely nail the kid who threw the ball, what I really meant to ask is would you try to use your jurisdiction as an official to penalize the actions that ensued AFTER the ball toss?

BigT Fri Feb 28, 2014 03:55pm

I did a pre-season scrimmage between these two schools and it went well. Makes me wonder what on earth happened in this game. I am so happy Utah will be known as the first school to have a student go down and hit an opposing player...

*hides*

stripes Fri Feb 28, 2014 06:34pm

I happened to see one of the three officials this morning in the SLC Airport. We talked for a few minutes about the game and what happened. What a mess.