The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 09:37pm
Back from the DL

Groin Shots and Court Storming

A couple of officiating/administrative thoughts from our state's Class A Boys championship game (which my son's team won, 45-41, finishing with a gold ball and the state's only undefeated boys' team) last Saturday night:

*Late in the first quarter, A-23 takes a shot to the egg sack by B-10. A-23 goes down in a heap, and since team A had control, we had a quick whistle. No-one saw the contact (aside from A's fans, who booed B-23 every time he touched the ball after that) so once A-23 gathered himself, we played on.

No-one blames the crew for not seeing this, as it was done in a very stealthy manner. (Here's a link to the entire game, go to 22:40 to see the incident, if you can.) My question is... had you seen an intentional groin shot during a live ball: flagrant or intentional?

*Our state's security does a lot to avoid students/fan rushing the floor. I understand the safety issue with it (especially after seeing that footage from New York State), but I wonder if it can do more harm than good to stop them short. Thoughts?

Last edited by bainsey; Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 12:41am. Reason: Corrected time-stamp in video
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

An intentional groin shot? Sounds pretty much like a punch to me. I would think it would be pretty hard NOT to be flagrant.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 10:16pm
AremRed

The play is at 22:48. Orange 10 smacks White 23 in the man region, although the movement is very subtle. I doubt any ref could have caught that, unless they were looking directly at it.

Orange 10 then does the classic "hands in air", "what did I do?" innocent routine, which I hate.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 10:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Bye bye, genius.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Flagrant, if I see it.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 09:04am
Certified Non-Fanboy

Looks like red #10 was still whining about the off ball foul called on him the play before and took a little revenge. Agree that it would be hard to see if you weren't looking right at it. Also agree with a flagrant foul if I caught it. No need for that.