The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 01:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter555 View Post
Can't some people ignore threads they feel haven't been properly researched first by the OP? As a less experienced basketball ref, I find many of them helpful even if I know the rule as it helps me lock it in. And often there are "this case is clear, but what about if ..." and there is a good discussion that is also helpful.

Just one guy's opinion, but seems like as officials we should be allowed to ask each other dumb questions. I'm a very experienced baseball umpire and I'm always glad if other umps ask me even simple questions if it helps them improve.
1) I'm talking about the people who actually had this situation and discussion in the real world.

2) Some people consistently never research rules, in the real world and in the forum.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
1) I'm talking about the people who actually had this situation and discussion in the real world.

2) Some people consistently never research rules, in the real world and in the forum.
Both fair points. One of my favorite activities (call me a geek) is to get my rulebook out after games to confirm any calls I had even a twinge of doubt about, but also the ones that remind me of a "I have to remember to look that up again" even if it didn't actually occur. I fully believe--and learned this from baseball--I may totally blow a judgement call, but there's no excuse to blow a rule. Unless, of course, the rule is so unclear as many of the NCAA-M PC/Charge discussions have illustrated lately...
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter555 View Post
Both fair points. One of my favorite activities (call me a geek) is to get my rulebook out after games to confirm any calls I had even a twinge of doubt about, but also the ones that remind me of a "I have to remember to look that up again" even if it didn't actually occur. I fully believe--and learned this from baseball--I may totally blow a judgement call, but there's no excuse to blow a rule. Unless, of course, the rule is so unclear as many of the NCAA-M PC/Charge discussions have illustrated lately...
I failed to make a call this season in my secondary that should have been a foul by rule (NCAA: defender laying on ground causing ball handler to fall). Crew chief pointed it out to me and my partner during post game. There was no excuse for me not to come get that play b/c in my very first NCAA game 5 seasons ago, I blew the same play.

Had the opportunity to redeem myself later in this season and came in hard in my secondary when the primary failed to pick it up.