The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 06:02am
C'mon man!!

Block/charge and game situation

Was lead in transition on a fast break, one defender (a1) in front of the ball handler (B1), I am maybe 15 feet from the play with good angle and can see space between them. Defender is running backwards and slows. Ball handler lowers shoulder and pretty much runs A1 over. Never went air borne for the shot. I come up with an easy peasy lemon squeasy PC. I hear it from the crowd. Small crowd in large gym and one dude is just hollering "read a rule book" for like a minute after the play, which was pretty comical. Any way team A was up about twenty points and this was in the third quarter. My play was similar to the St. Mary's/BYU play in another thread.

After the game, one of our other officials whom I respect and think is an excellent official and works many state playoff games every year, asked me about the play. I told him what I had and he said "you should have called a block. Calling a charge on the team who is down isn't the best game management move. Show the coach a little love."

Now I am all for letting some stuff go on a time who is down 20 so as not to rub salt in a wound, minor travels, a minor hand check away from the basket etc. but this was a PC foul all day every day. I wouldn't have even dared to no call it because B1 lowered his shoulder and A1 went down.

I asked him "take score out of the equation. What if it is tied or A is ahead?" He said, "Charge." Anybody have any comments or thoughts on this philosophy?

Last edited by Sharpshooternes; Wed Feb 19, 2014 at 06:12am.