The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Perplexed Travel

The move - player dribbling into paint... picks up (catch) the dribble - jumps between defenders, lands left foot - steps with right foot - makes layup - travel?
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

When the ball handler picks up their dribble, is he/she in the air and then lands left foot?
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
When the ball handler picks up their dribble, is he/she in the air and then lands left foot?
IF so, it's legal.

But, if the player was on the ground when s/he "picks up (catch) the dribble", it's a violation.

So, no wonder you're perplexed -- you didn't describe the most important piece of information.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 01:18pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
The move - player dribbling into paint... picks up (catch) the dribble - jumps between defenders, lands left foot - steps with right foot - makes layup - travel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
He does say. "Picks up the dribble, then jumps". The way I read it, he is on the floor when the dribble ends.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
He does say. "Picks up the dribble, then jumps". The way I read it, he is on the floor when the dribble ends.
That's how I visualized it, just double checking. Bob came through with correct answers either way.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 01:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

I know what the right answer is but riddle me this...is there actually a rule that prevents a player without an established pivot foot from jumping from both feet and landing on one?
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I know what the right answer is but riddle me this...is there actually a rule that prevents a player without an established pivot foot from jumping from both feet and landing on one?
There's a case.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes. When they jump, one of the two feet is the pivot, take your pick as to which left the floor first (it doesn't really matter which you pick).

Quote:
ART. 1 . . . A player who catches the ball with both feet on the floor, may pivot, using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot.
Then, having jumped, neither foot can return to the floor without releasing the ball for a shot/pass.

Quote:
ART. 3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Yes

Dribbles - picks it - jumps defenders in paint - left - right - layup
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 02:48pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yes. When they jump, one of the two feet is the pivot, take your pick as to which left the floor first (it doesn't really matter which you pick).
And in all practical purposes, this is how I would rule.

Let's say theoretically though he jumps so that both feet leave the floor simultaneously without any difference between the two. The rules do not discern in this case which foot is the pivot.

If there's no pivot established then Article 3 wouldn't apply. I don't think the rule was meant to be interpreted that way but it's an interesting little hole.

Please be assured I know what the right call is here and I'd make it without hesitation, I'm just having a little fun playing rulebook lawyer.

Bob, do you happen to have which case that is?
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 02:59pm
M.A.S.H.

Welpe

Don't have my case with me, but I assume it's somewhere in the 4.44 area.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And in all practical purposes, this is how I would rule.

Let's say theoretically though he jumps so that both feet leave the floor simultaneously without any difference between the two. The rules do not discern in this case which foot is the pivot.

If there's no pivot established then Article 3 wouldn't apply. I don't think the rule was meant to be interpreted that way but it's an interesting little hole.

Please be assured I know what the right call is here and I'd make it without hesitation, I'm just having a little fun playing rulebook lawyer.

Bob, do you happen to have which case that is?
4.44.3B in 2012-13 book
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 03:30pm
Archaic Power Monger

OK that works. I saw that the first time and must have skimmed over it since it was relating to a dribble but I definitely see how it fits.

I'll put my copy of Black's away now.

Thanks!
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like he's trying to describe that "euro step"
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

And the crowd yells..

And the whole crowd and at least one opponent's coach will scream "Up and Down!" Usually the same coach who barks at you for continually missing "Over the Back."