The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Perplexed Travel (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97309-perplexed-travel.html)

Refsmitty Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:44am

Perplexed Travel

The move - player dribbling into paint... picks up (catch) the dribble - jumps between defenders, lands left foot - steps with right foot - makes layup - travel?

Indianaref Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:22pm

When the ball handler picks up their dribble, is he/she in the air and then lands left foot?

bob jenkins Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 923455)
When the ball handler picks up their dribble, is he/she in the air and then lands left foot?

IF so, it's legal.

But, if the player was on the ground when s/he "picks up (catch) the dribble", it's a violation.

So, no wonder you're perplexed -- you didn't describe the most important piece of information.

OKREF Tue Feb 18, 2014 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 923451)
The move - player dribbling into paint... picks up (catch) the dribble - jumps between defenders, lands left foot - steps with right foot - makes layup - travel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 923455)

He does say. "Picks up the dribble, then jumps". The way I read it, he is on the floor when the dribble ends.

Indianaref Tue Feb 18, 2014 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 923472)
He does say. "Picks up the dribble, then jumps". The way I read it, he is on the floor when the dribble ends.

That's how I visualized it, just double checking. Bob came through with correct answers either way.

Welpe Tue Feb 18, 2014 01:31pm

I know what the right answer is but riddle me this...is there actually a rule that prevents a player without an established pivot foot from jumping from both feet and landing on one?

bob jenkins Tue Feb 18, 2014 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 923475)
I know what the right answer is but riddle me this...is there actually a rule that prevents a player without an established pivot foot from jumping from both feet and landing on one?

There's a case. ;)

Camron Rust Tue Feb 18, 2014 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 923475)

Yes. When they jump, one of the two feet is the pivot, take your pick as to which left the floor first (it doesn't really matter which you pick).

Quote:

ART. 1 . . . A player who catches the ball with both feet on the floor, may pivot, using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot.

Then, having jumped, neither foot can return to the floor without releasing the ball for a shot/pass.

Quote:

ART. 3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

Refsmitty Tue Feb 18, 2014 02:09pm

Yes

Dribbles - picks it - jumps defenders in paint - left - right - layup

Welpe Tue Feb 18, 2014 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 923479)
Yes. When they jump, one of the two feet is the pivot, take your pick as to which left the floor first (it doesn't really matter which you pick).

And in all practical purposes, this is how I would rule.

Let's say theoretically though he jumps so that both feet leave the floor simultaneously without any difference between the two. The rules do not discern in this case which foot is the pivot.

If there's no pivot established then Article 3 wouldn't apply. I don't think the rule was meant to be interpreted that way but it's an interesting little hole.

Please be assured I know what the right call is here and I'd make it without hesitation, I'm just having a little fun playing rulebook lawyer.

Bob, do you happen to have which case that is?

tjones1 Tue Feb 18, 2014 02:59pm

Welpe

Don't have my case with me, but I assume it's somewhere in the 4.44 area.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 18, 2014 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 923485)
And in all practical purposes, this is how I would rule.

Let's say theoretically though he jumps so that both feet leave the floor simultaneously without any difference between the two. The rules do not discern in this case which foot is the pivot.

If there's no pivot established then Article 3 wouldn't apply. I don't think the rule was meant to be interpreted that way but it's an interesting little hole.

Please be assured I know what the right call is here and I'd make it without hesitation, I'm just having a little fun playing rulebook lawyer.

Bob, do you happen to have which case that is?

4.44.3B in 2012-13 book

Welpe Tue Feb 18, 2014 03:30pm

OK that works. I saw that the first time and must have skimmed over it since it was relating to a dribble but I definitely see how it fits.

I'll put my copy of Black's away now.

Thanks!

JMUplayer Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:11pm

Sounds like he's trying to describe that "euro step"

Dexter555 Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:57pm

And the crowd yells..

And the whole crowd and at least one opponent's coach will scream "Up and Down!" Usually the same coach who barks at you for continually missing "Over the Back.":D