The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
You think the Trail knew the situation? why did he need the coach to basically run into him to acknowledge him?
Because his #1 priority during a live ball is the game on the floor.

As for whether it was after the release or not, who cares? The coach asked for it, the official heard it, verified that his team had player control, then granted it. If whistles normally occurred the very moment of the request/violation/foul, we'd be talking about how many inadvertent whistles were in every game.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 03:02am.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Was there anything to see other than the timeout/canceled buzzer beater?

(Not watching 14 minutes of video to find out)
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 06:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Was there anything to see other than the timeout/canceled buzzer beater?

(Not watching 14 minutes of video to find out)
No, that was the crux of this thread.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
My thinking was: the whistle stops the clock. The whistle occurred after the release.
In this instance, when the whistle is blown it's up to the crew to come together to determine whether the time-out should have been granted (i.e., was a player on white in control of the ball). As johnny d said, either you grant the time-out, cancel the goal and put the correct time back on the clock or you don't grant the time-out, count the goal and everybody goes home.

Quote:
There are some instances in which a dead ball is scored.
No, there aren't.

NFHS 5-1-1
A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 06:33am.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 07:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Few ...

Quote:
There are some instances in which a dead ball is scored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
No, there aren't.
Defensive basket interference. Defensive goaltending.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Defensive basket interference. Defensive goaltending.
My mistake. Thanks, Billy.

At any rate, granting a time-out while a try is in flight wouldn't be one of those situations.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 08:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Because his #1 priority during a live ball is the game on the floor.

As for whether it was after the release or not, who cares? The coach asked for it, the official heard it, verified that his team had player control, then granted it. If whistles normally occurred the very moment of the request/violation/foul, we'd be talking about how many inadvertent whistles were in every game.
Your first sentence is a nice slogan, but if this timeout is missed and the shot misses, the only perception that matters is that the crew has no game awareness and missed the timeout request.

I have no problem with how this was administered. The timing of the whistle means absolutely nothing to me. The timeout was obviously requested before the shot and it was granted. Nothing to see here - put time back on the clock, grant the timeout, and play on.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 10:06am
Archaic Power Monger

The coach knew he blew it. He iced his own shooter...ouch.

They handled the TO properly. The coach put them in a bad situation to start with. I'm no so sure I'd be expecting a TO from the coach as his shooter is pulling up for a last second shot but this is a good lesson be prepared for anything.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:22pm
#thereferee99

For Brevity

The 3 minute version:

Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The timing of the whistle means absolutely nothing to me.
It should. If it was blown prior to time expiring, then there will be time left on the game clock.
The officials can rule this play one of two ways.
1. The time-out was properly requested prior to the player control ending, but acknowledged a little late. Restore time to when the whistle sounded and white has the ball for a sideline throw-in.
2. The time-out request was not heard and properly granted until after the try was released, in which case the goal counts. The whistle still stops the clock and the team is still charged with the time-out which was requested, but erroneously granted. (It's erroneously granted in this case because it was acknowledged at point when it should not have been--there was no player control.) Resume the game at the POI = endline throw-in for Green.

What the officials cannot do is what one poster suggested and ignore the whistle, count the goal, and declare the game over. That's wrong by rule. The game clock must stop when the whistle is sounded.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Your first sentence is a nice slogan, but if this timeout is missed and the shot misses, the only perception that matters is that the crew has no game awareness and missed the timeout request.
And if, while the official turns around to see who is requesting that timeout (it could be an assistant or someone in the stands right behind the coach) his player gets fouled while releasing the 3 and you miss that, what then?

When there is action on the floor, the #1 priority is the action. I'm not turning my attention away from imminent action to if a coach might be calling timeout.

Being aware of the game just means that, but sometimes you can't turn away from the game in front of you.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 03:14pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

What the officials cannot do is what one poster suggested and ignore the whistle, count the goal, and declare the game over. That's wrong by rule. The game clock must stop when the whistle is sounded.

Yes, this can easily be done by rule. The whistle is blowing as the horn starts to sound. Game over. Whistle is too late to stop the clock. It is that simple. Don't worry though, you will still be the first person I call if I ever need some rules help.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 04:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It should. If it was blown prior to time expiring, then there will be time left on the game clock.
The officials can rule this play one of two ways.
1. The time-out was properly requested prior to the player control ending, but acknowledged a little late. Restore time to when the whistle sounded and white has the ball for a sideline throw-in.
2. The time-out request was not heard and properly granted until after the try was released, in which case the goal counts. The whistle still stops the clock and the team is still charged with the time-out which was requested, but erroneously granted. (It's erroneously granted in this case because it was acknowledged at point when it should not have been--there was no player control.) Resume the game at the POI = endline throw-in for Green.

I mean the fact that the whistle doesn't blow until the shot's in the air means nothing to me - I'm still granting the timeout if I acknowledged it (before I get air in the whistle) before the shot's in the air.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming that the officials got it right with the granted timeout with time on the clock,
what scenarios would you T up the Home team player for hanging on the rim during a time out?
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 05:14pm
NFHS Official

So he gets the time out and the best play he draws up is a half court heave? I half expected it to go in.