The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Plenty of fun on this one (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97296-plenty-fun-one-video.html)

referee99 Sun Feb 16, 2014 07:08pm

Plenty of fun on this one (Video)

The 3 minute summation:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gZQ6gVd4VeU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The longer versions.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6K1XDVjGDQ8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wgVdD9qTSFM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LEQr-JorHiY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JetMetFan Sun Feb 16, 2014 07:38pm

Umm...could you narrow it down to the time code we're supposed to be watching?

Raymond Sun Feb 16, 2014 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 923149)
Umm...could you narrow it down to the time code we're supposed to be watching?

Just watch the last video since you can kind of see the game clock during the sequence.

By rule the officials did nothing wrong. By mechanics, I really wish the new Trail had been more urgent in granting the time-out. By the time he seems to be reacting to the request, it is well after A1 has released the shot.

stick Sun Feb 16, 2014 07:52pm

I didn't see it but could a player or the coach from the home team have called time out before the buzzer beater shot? I did see the C frantically waving off the basket but then the camera didn't show him or the other officials after that untikl they were at the table.

Raymond Sun Feb 16, 2014 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick (Post 923153)
I didn't see it but could a player or the coach from the home team have called time out before the buzzer beater shot? I did see the C frantically waving off the basket but then the camera didn't show him or the other officials after that untikl they were at the table.

Yes, White HC was granted a time-out. Official blew his whistle after shot was released.

referee99 Sun Feb 16, 2014 08:14pm

Obligatory rim hang

by White when celebrating their 'victory'.

AremRed Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:05pm

Don't watch the middle video, just the first and the last.

Where is Lead on the initial blocking foul?? Should have been at close-down, and should have gotten that foul. Instead he's loitering at the 3-point line!?!

The whistle occurred while the ball was in flight. Count the basket, put whatever time the officials have definite knowledge of back on the clock, and give green an endline throw-in. Partners should be coming with this info.

Rich Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 923158)
Don't watch the middle video, just the first and the last.

Where is Lead on the initial blocking foul?? Should have been at close-down, and should have gotten that foul. Instead he's loitering at the 3-point line!?!

The whistle occurred while the ball was in flight. Count the basket, put whatever time the officials have definite knowledge of back on the clock, and give green an endline throw-in. Partners should be coming with this info.

No chance. Timeout was acknowledged before the shot. Let's start a 4 page argument about when the timeout is actually granted now. :rolleyes:

johnny d Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 923158)

What are you talking about? Either the timeout was before the shot occurred, set the clock, and white gets the ball for a throw in, or the timeout was after the ball was released, the basket counts, and the game is over. Why would you ever count the basket and put time back on the clock?

AremRed Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 923192)
What are you talking about? Either the timeout was before the shot occurred, set the clock, and white gets the ball for a throw in, or the timeout was after the ball was released, the basket counts, and the game is over. Why would you ever count the basket and put time back on the clock?

My thinking was: the whistle stops the clock. The whistle occurred after the release. There are some instances in which a dead ball is scored. Therefore, count the basket, add whatever time an official had definite knowledge of, grant the timeout, and give green an endline throw-in, which was the point of interruption.

I know you know your shit, can you educate me please?

JRutledge Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 923193)
My thinking was: the whistle stops the clock. The whistle occurred after the release. There are some instances in which a dead ball is scored. Therefore, count the basket, add whatever time an official had definite knowledge of, grant the timeout, and give green an endline throw-in, which was the point of interruption.

I know you know your shit, can you educate me please?

You probably need to look at a little Rules Fundamental (#16)

"The official's whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead)."

Peace

Stat-Man Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:14am

I wonder when the game was played. These are two schools in my area, and I have a JV girls games at this gym next week. That ought to be a fun pregame conference. :D

Toren Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:58am

I would definitely like to see the Trail take a look at the bench...we gotta anticipate the coach wanting to call a timeout. And I have no idea what the Lead is doing, he could have also been anticipating a timeout by the coach as well, but he seems like he is completely lost.

However, with all that said, the acknowledgement of the timeout was well after ball is in the air. No timeout, sorry coach, you win the game though.

JRutledge Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 923199)
I would definitely like to see the Trail take a look at the bench...we gotta anticipate the coach wanting to call a timeout. And I have no idea what the Lead is doing, he could have also been anticipating a timeout by the coach as well, but he seems like he is completely lost.

However, with all that said, the acknowledgement of the timeout was well after ball is in the air. No timeout, sorry coach, you win the game though.

I do not think it is an issue of knowing the situation. Sometimes coaches over think their role and do something prematurely. It seems like the coach was asking for a timeout while his player was clearly getting ready to shoot the ball.

This is another reason coaches should not be requesting timeouts.

Peace

Toren Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 923200)
I do not think it is an issue of knowing the situation. Sometimes coaches over think their role and do something prematurely. It seems like the coach was asking for a timeout while his player was clearly getting ready to shoot the ball.

This is another reason coaches should not be requesting timeouts.

Peace

You think the Trail knew the situation? why did he need the coach to basically run into him to acknowledge him?