View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 04:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It should. If it was blown prior to time expiring, then there will be time left on the game clock.
The officials can rule this play one of two ways.
1. The time-out was properly requested prior to the player control ending, but acknowledged a little late. Restore time to when the whistle sounded and white has the ball for a sideline throw-in.
2. The time-out request was not heard and properly granted until after the try was released, in which case the goal counts. The whistle still stops the clock and the team is still charged with the time-out which was requested, but erroneously granted. (It's erroneously granted in this case because it was acknowledged at point when it should not have been--there was no player control.) Resume the game at the POI = endline throw-in for Green.

What the officials cannot do is what one poster suggested and ignore the whistle, count the goal, and declare the game over. That's wrong by rule. The game clock must stop when the whistle is sounded.
I mean the fact that the whistle doesn't blow until the shot's in the air means nothing to me - I'm still granting the timeout if I acknowledged it (before I get air in the whistle) before the shot's in the air.