The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 07:08pm
#thereferee99

Plenty of fun on this one (Video)

The 3 minute summation:

The longer versions.

Last edited by referee99; Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 01:21pm. Reason: brevity.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Umm...could you narrow it down to the time code we're supposed to be watching?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 07:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Umm...could you narrow it down to the time code we're supposed to be watching?
Just watch the last video since you can kind of see the game clock during the sequence.

By rule the officials did nothing wrong. By mechanics, I really wish the new Trail had been more urgent in granting the time-out. By the time he seems to be reacting to the request, it is well after A1 has released the shot.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I didn't see it but could a player or the coach from the home team have called time out before the buzzer beater shot? I did see the C frantically waving off the basket but then the camera didn't show him or the other officials after that untikl they were at the table.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 08:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
I didn't see it but could a player or the coach from the home team have called time out before the buzzer beater shot? I did see the C frantically waving off the basket but then the camera didn't show him or the other officials after that untikl they were at the table.
Yes, White HC was granted a time-out. Official blew his whistle after shot was released.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 08:14pm
#thereferee99

Obligatory rim hang

by White when celebrating their 'victory'.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 09:05pm
AremRed

Don't watch the middle video, just the first and the last.

Where is Lead on the initial blocking foul?? Should have been at close-down, and should have gotten that foul. Instead he's loitering at the 3-point line!?!

The whistle occurred while the ball was in flight. Count the basket, put whatever time the officials have definite knowledge of back on the clock, and give green an endline throw-in. Partners should be coming with this info.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 09:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Don't watch the middle video, just the first and the last.

Where is Lead on the initial blocking foul?? Should have been at close-down, and should have gotten that foul. Instead he's loitering at the 3-point line!?!

The whistle occurred while the ball was in flight. Count the basket, put whatever time the officials have definite knowledge of back on the clock, and give green an endline throw-in. Partners should be coming with this info.
No chance. Timeout was acknowledged before the shot. Let's start a 4 page argument about when the timeout is actually granted now.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 11:20pm
beware big brother

Quote:

What are you talking about? Either the timeout was before the shot occurred, set the clock, and white gets the ball for a throw in, or the timeout was after the ball was released, the basket counts, and the game is over. Why would you ever count the basket and put time back on the clock?
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 11:24pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
What are you talking about? Either the timeout was before the shot occurred, set the clock, and white gets the ball for a throw in, or the timeout was after the ball was released, the basket counts, and the game is over. Why would you ever count the basket and put time back on the clock?
My thinking was: the whistle stops the clock. The whistle occurred after the release. There are some instances in which a dead ball is scored. Therefore, count the basket, add whatever time an official had definite knowledge of, grant the timeout, and give green an endline throw-in, which was the point of interruption.

I know you know your shit, can you educate me please?
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 11:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
My thinking was: the whistle stops the clock. The whistle occurred after the release. There are some instances in which a dead ball is scored. Therefore, count the basket, add whatever time an official had definite knowledge of, grant the timeout, and give green an endline throw-in, which was the point of interruption.

I know you know your shit, can you educate me please?
You probably need to look at a little Rules Fundamental (#16)

"The official's whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead)."

Peace
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 12:14am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I wonder when the game was played. These are two schools in my area, and I have a JV girls games at this gym next week. That ought to be a fun pregame conference.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

I would definitely like to see the Trail take a look at the bench...we gotta anticipate the coach wanting to call a timeout. And I have no idea what the Lead is doing, he could have also been anticipating a timeout by the coach as well, but he seems like he is completely lost.

However, with all that said, the acknowledgement of the timeout was well after ball is in the air. No timeout, sorry coach, you win the game though.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I would definitely like to see the Trail take a look at the bench...we gotta anticipate the coach wanting to call a timeout. And I have no idea what the Lead is doing, he could have also been anticipating a timeout by the coach as well, but he seems like he is completely lost.

However, with all that said, the acknowledgement of the timeout was well after ball is in the air. No timeout, sorry coach, you win the game though.
I do not think it is an issue of knowing the situation. Sometimes coaches over think their role and do something prematurely. It seems like the coach was asking for a timeout while his player was clearly getting ready to shoot the ball.

This is another reason coaches should not be requesting timeouts.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think it is an issue of knowing the situation. Sometimes coaches over think their role and do something prematurely. It seems like the coach was asking for a timeout while his player was clearly getting ready to shoot the ball.

This is another reason coaches should not be requesting timeouts.

Peace
You think the Trail knew the situation? why did he need the coach to basically run into him to acknowledge him?