The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 01:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Disagree all you want, but when you miss that timeout the first question will revolve around YOUR situational awareness.
Agreed. I'll add, though, that if you're looking at the coach and he's got his hands in his pockets and quietly saying something you can't hear, it's on him.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 02:28pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Disagree all you want, but when you miss that timeout the first question will revolve around YOUR situational awareness.
Or around the crew's situational awareness...this is very rarely on just one of the officials. It's the crew, imho.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Agreed. I'll add, though, that if you're looking at the coach and he's got his hands in his pockets and quietly saying something you can't hear, it's on him.
Or even loudly saying something in a lout gym.

A couple weeks ago, I had such a game where the coach had his hands to his side and was yelling something in my general direction. With the noise in the gym, it was not possible to hear anything he said. It was the right time for a timeout but it was also possible he was yelling at his player for what they were doing.

The noise died down and then I could tell he was yelling timeout.

A visual to go with the verbal would be a good idea for any coach wanting to get a timeout when the official is not near them.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 02:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Or around the crew's situational awareness...this is very rarely on just one of the officials. It's the crew, imho.
Agree. Consider my "your" all-inclusive.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 04:12pm
9 times

Quote:
Once again I disagree. The conversation will revolve around HIM getting the TO request communicated--that is his job.

10 days ago, rival teams +/-3000 fans, 2 pt game, 2+1 for H team to tie (and maybe go up), I am L (admin FT) and V coach is SCREAMING at the T (calling his name only), no one on the crew (including the T who was closest to the coach) knew he wanted a TO because all he yelled was the official's name. I see him yelling my partners name, but don't know he wants a TO and that is MY fault? I don't buy it. Make a TO signal, get a player, something (anything) that lets me know he wants a TO and he could have it. I looked right at him as he yells "name!, name!, name!" I don't know if he is mad about the call, wants the TO or what. I am not and will not be a mind reader.

I completely agree about situational awareness and giving TOs in places where coaches generally want them, but at the end of the day it is their job to get our attention, not the other way around.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 04:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Once again I disagree. The conversation will revolve around HIM getting the TO request communicated--that is his job.

10 days ago, rival teams +/-3000 fans, 2 pt game, 2+1 for H team to tie (and maybe go up), I am L (admin FT) and V coach is SCREAMING at the T (calling his name only), no one on the crew (including the T who was closest to the coach) knew he wanted a TO because all he yelled was the official's name. I see him yelling my partners name, but don't know he wants a TO and that is MY fault? I don't buy it. Make a TO signal, get a player, something (anything) that lets me know he wants a TO and he could have it. I looked right at him as he yells "name!, name!, name!" I don't know if he is mad about the call, wants the TO or what. I am not and will not be a mind reader.
Prior to a free throw is not a critical time to be looking for T-O call. After the free throw or a made basket is what is being discussed for situational awareness purposes. And you know at a certain level, and in camps, we are expected to be looking for those time-outs.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Learning experience for you -- did you look immediately at the coach when the 3 went through the hoop? No? Why not?

Situation awareness is important.

If I were that coach, I'd be frustrated, too, BTW.
^^^^This is what you want to take away from this thread and learn from it.

You were right to not T. Not a crime to stare. Need to be aware of the situation and anticipate this. If you were, you'd be looking right at him after the basket and then the clock. And if timer did not stop clock, you would know how much time to put on clock. Good no T but not necessarily what you need to learn from this. Take this as what to do next time and it'll serve you well in future because it will happen again and again.