The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 05:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I know a lot of people, myself included, who consider THAT swearing, without question. For basketball purposes, though, I'd consider that a Roman Law thing.

Then again, the Romans killed Jesus, but I digress.
I consider it swearing as much as if the coach cried out, "Flying Spaghetti Monster!"
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 05:27pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I consider it swearing as much as if the coach cried out, "Flying Spaghetti Monster!"
Heathen.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeremy View Post
I do admit I should have looked towards the bench and I didn't. Rookie mistake. After watching the video I still don't know if I would have immediately granted a timeout because I couldn't hear him or see him make any signal that he wanted a timeout.
In a situation like that one thing I do if I happen to be the trail or the center and in front of their bench is hover around close to him. This way there's a better chance to hear or catch a time out call right away. But you must look toward him, especially in a noisy gym that has bad accoustics.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Red team down by 9 and player hits a 3 point shot. Red now down 6 pts. I was trail on tableside and I didn't immediately hear the red coach yell for a timeout because crowd was cheering and announcer was commenting on the basket. I grant the red team timeout but after about 2 seconds ran off the clock. There is now 5.1 seconds on the clock. He does a slight stare down on me, flips his clipboard back on one of the chairs and says "Jesus" very sarcastically. I know that isn't considered swearing in this day and age but I still consider that inappropriate. I wanted to give a T for the stare and the clipboard flip but I just reported the timeout because I didn't want a T to decide the game. Did I do the right thing?
Did he slam the clipboard down? If he did that coach earns himself a T from me no matter what the game situation is. It's one thing to dispute, challenge and try to work us for calls, that is expected. But slamming a clipboard is disrespecting us. We are not second class citizens and should never tolerate that kind of childish behavior. .
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 09:02pm

He didn't slam it down. He just threw it across his body to a nearby seat that was away from the floor. The more I watch the video I realize I was closer to him than I thought and a quick glance over and I would have realized he wanted a timeout even though he didn't signal. I definitely learned something from this scenario.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
IMHO ... you "want" too much. You should not "want" a T to decide (or not to decide) a game. Too many people consider calling a T as a different act from calling a foul. It's not. Call the game. If his stare-down warranted a T (I doubt it did ... but this is your call, not mine) - then call it. If his flipping of a clipboard in anger warranted a T (after the stare - I'm thinking it did, but again, it's your call) - then call it. If him giving you the name of his favorite deity warranted a T (especially in addition to the other two acts), call it.

Don't fail to call it because you didn't want it to decide the game any more than you would fail to call a travel because you didn't want it to decide the game.

If coach decides to get a T with his team down 6 and 5.1 seconds remaining - that's on him. HE cost his team the opportunity to somehow finish this miracle comeback --- not you.

PS - it's not the swear word (usually) that warrants a T (imho) - it's the manner, the attitude, etc - and it's who it's directed at.
This. He decided, not you. That being said, you are a first year official and you learned a valuable lesson about game awareness. There are those who say game awareness is not our problem. The coach needs to be more vocal, etc. Yep. Him being more vocal would have helped, but game awareness is so important. In that spot, when the ball tickled twine my eyes as trail go to the clock, then immediately to the coach. Visiting coach? This may be a time back on the clock situation Home team calls TO in that spot, the clock is probably already stopped! game awareness.

Last edited by biggravy; Wed Feb 12, 2014 at 11:11pm.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 12:44am
Play through it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Then the second part of my last post applies: that's on him.

Something else to consider: I'm assuming this is a 2-person game. One of you has to be standing tableside and either near (the L) or in front of (the T) his bench. As Rich said, be ready for it.

Another point regarding his actions: I'm not saying if he questions your birth or heritage quietly while you're standing next to him that he shouldn't get whacked but if he's being "visual" let it call itself.
I agree...

And for the record, if a coach tosses/flips/throws/slams his clipboard after staring me down-it is gonna be automatic-and 100% his fault that he got the T. Coaches can get frustrated and be intense without showing the officials up and/or looking like a jackass.

Next time maybe he will control his emotions. But the way you described this situation, regardless of whether or not you were looking for the t.o. (Which you should make a habit of in the future IMO) is extremely unsportsmanlike and getting a T in my book.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 06:15am

At what point of the game should I be glancing towards the benches? With 1 or 2 minutes remaining?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 07:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Walk A Mile In Another Man's Moccasins ...

Quote:
At what point of the game should I be glancing towards the benches? With 1 or 2 minutes remaining?
It could be in the first period. When the other team goes on a 10-2 run. When the other team begins to press and his kids' seem confused. Just pretend that you're the coach, put yourself in his shoes, and decide when he, or you, would request a timeout.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Time doesn't matter - you'll get a feel for game awareness as you go. You'll sense when coaches are likely to want a timeout.

But with a minute or less left (or after a team has started fouling to stop the clock ... or at any point after that first timeout in crunch-time), start expecting the timeout. That said ... the 1 or 2 seconds they gain from you looking over is probably going to only be critical inside a minute - and more critical as you get closer to the end. I don't think anyone's going to go clipboard throwing if their timeout was at 1:56 instead of 1:58. Maybe not even 0:56 vs 0:58. But 0:08 vs 0:06 - probably.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:44am
9 times

I would also remind the coach that he has 5 players on the court who can request a TO AND who are used to listening for his voice. Any of the players can get right in front of you and request the TO. This is especially pertinent in a loud gym.

While I agree that you should be situationally aware, requesting a TO is on him.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
I would also remind the coach that he has 5 players on the court who can request a TO AND who are used to listening for his voice. Any of the players can get right in front of you and request the TO. This is especially pertinent in a loud gym.

While I agree that you should be situationally aware, requesting a TO is on him.
No offense, but this attitude / mindset just doesn't cut it. With the rules as they are and with the expectation that top officials be situationally aware, it's ON US to be aware and expecting a request. No excuses.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He didn't slam it down. He just threw it across his body to a nearby seat that was away from the floor. The more I watch the video I realize I was closer to him than I thought and a quick glance over and I would have realized he wanted a timeout even though he didn't signal. I definitely learned something from this scenario.
Another poster put it correctly, imagine what you would do if you were in his shoes. A coach with basketball sense would want a time out right away!! You being a first year official just learned what to do and how it works. Next time you'll do it right!! But I must say based on the coach flinging his clipboard and staring you down I'd have T'd the guy up.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 12:54pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No offense, but this attitude / mindset just doesn't cut it. With the rules as they are and with the expectation that top officials be situationally aware, it's ON US to be aware and expecting a request. No excuses.

I disagree. We should be aware of situations where a coach might want a TO, but it is the coach's responsibility to get our attention if they want a TO. Not the other way around.

I have had plenty of games that were so loud you could not hear anyone and I have had plenty of players run up to me at the coach's request to get a TO. It works out fine. Coaches understand the realities of the game and will do what they can to get what they want.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 01:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
I disagree. We should be aware of situations where a coach might want a TO, but it is the coach's responsibility to get our attention if they want a TO. Not the other way around.

I have had plenty of games that were so loud you could not hear anyone and I have had plenty of players run up to me at the coach's request to get a TO. It works out fine. Coaches understand the realities of the game and will do what they can to get what they want.
Disagree all you want, but when you miss that timeout the first question will revolve around YOUR situational awareness.