The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Consistency and Intimidation

OK this is my first thread and I hope I have some responses. There are games I officiate that seem to go as smoothly as possible. I'm in position, making correct calls; everything is easy and flowing. Then there are games when I can't seem to get in the right position or I get caught doing bad habits .(watching the ball, losing concentration. etc.) These are the games when I hear the coaches and crowd complaints more. This causes me to be inconsistent with my play calling. Most games I can recover and regain the focus I need but there are some games when I can't get back in the groove. I'm a very experienced official who is striving to find ways to improve on this problem. Your help is appreciated!
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

It will come with time...I still have nights where I am "off" but they are fewer and far between.

Next time you have a good game jot down what you did that day before the game. Did you have an easy day at work? Was traffic light on the way in? Did you arrive an hour early?

Then do the same for when you have less than good game. I know for me, if I have an off game I can usually trace it back to a rough day at work, running late to the game etc...
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Check your comfort zone

When I have such doubts, after I check myself thoroughly, I check my partners and make sure we are on the same page. Make sure you take care of your primary and only go outside when absolutely necessary. Two eyes need to be on the ball at all times and as the ball moves around picking up the ball in your area and releasing it to officiate off ball is an art for the crew to develop.

Just my suggestion.

Last edited by Robert E. Harrison; Tue Feb 11, 2014 at 02:46pm.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrow413 View Post
OK this is my first thread and I hope I have some responses. There are games I officiate that seem to go as smoothly as possible. I'm in position, making correct calls; everything is easy and flowing. Then there are games when I can't seem to get in the right position or I get caught doing bad habits .(watching the ball, losing concentration. etc.) These are the games when I hear the coaches and crowd complaints more. This causes me to be inconsistent with my play calling. Most games I can recover and regain the focus I need but there are some games when I can't get back in the groove. I'm a very experienced official who is striving to find ways to improve on this problem. Your help is appreciated!
I can tell you that there is a direct correlation with skill level of the game and overall game ambiance so to speak.

This should not effect consistency. This just makes determining advantage/disadvantage more difficult and judging RSQB more complicated.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:33pm
Eschew obfuscation.

You probably do this on an unconcious level, but when I'm in games like that where I'm having a tough time focusing/calling plays accurately/etc. I do a lot of self-talk. Always be thinking what you're doing. I say things to myself (silently) like:

White is on defense.
Where is my primary?
Who is my closest competitive matchup?
Left foot pivot.
Referee the moment.
Click, click-delete.
Up-down-rebound.
Possession-consequence.
Curl away, stay away.

Some of those phrases are common, some are not. Use what you want when doing your own self-talk to get your mind right in the game.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

In order to be sharp and "ready to officiate" from the start, develop a pre-game routine. By creating a set pattern of habits (actions or self-talk affirmations), your body and mind are put into an "auto-pilot" mode that then is prepared for what happens next (the beginning of the game).

For instance, during the National Anthem I ALWAYS do the same thing: stand at attention, pick out a star on the flag to concentrate on, repeat silently during the fist half of the anthem - "you are the best official on the floor, your calls are correct, you are a Division 1 official", and hum the instrumental baseline for the second half of the anthem.

As a result, I am mentally prepared, focused, and alert to begin actively officiating from the very beginning of the game.

imho, It is MUCH EASIER to be "on your game" from the beginning, than it is to "pick yourself up" after a lackluster start
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
and hum the instrumental baseline for the second half of the anthem.
How do you "hum the baseline"? It seems it would just be one long flat note.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 01:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Whenever I have a sequence where a coach starts complaining, or few calls go against one team, I self-talk. It's human nature to want to appease or be the "good guy". But I get in position and self-talk: "referee this play based on what you see, don't worry about the coach."
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 03:11pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
How do you "hum the baseline"? It seems it would just be one long flat note.
He meant "hum the endline".
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 03:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
He meant "hum the endline".
Ahhhh, that's a good one.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 04:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Marvelettes (1965) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I self-talk.
I sing "Don't Mess With Bill" to myself. Seriously. It works. As long as your name is Bill. If it isn't, then it's just silly.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 12, 2014 at 04:07pm.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even the best officials have off games. I'm certainly not in the best official category but if I find myself in a rut like that I try and make a concerted effort to concentrate the rest of the game. Admittedly some games are so bad that it's tough to do. It's definitely a challenge