The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Fan Intimidation

Hi,

Recently at a High School game we had an incident with fans.

I wasn't at the game in question but it got me thinking.

This is what happened:

The coaches put on their closing pitcher they return to the dugout and 2 teenagers run onto the field. They run up to the pitcher and start dancing around him, taunting and mocking him.

The base ump shoos them off the field and they run off back into the crowd. They get given some money by someone in the crowd and they victoriously wave their money above their heads. (So I'm thinking obviously a dare.)

The pitcher was completely put off by this whole incident cause his first impression was that these two guys were going to harm him.

If it had been older players both dugouts would probably have emptied.

From an Umpiring perspective how is this supposed to be handled?

If it had been me umpiring I most probably would have just stood there for a while in shock. Then I'd eject the two teenagers out the park and probably the manager of the home team.

The best thing (I think) would have been to stop them even getting on to the field. But without expecting something like this it would be difficult.

Thanks
SAWolf
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

First of all, as an umpire, you officiate "inside the park", and the players, coaches, staff and anything else associated with the game are under your control. Spectators do not fall under this category.

Spectators coming onto the field require the umpire to immediately halt the game (TIME) and it is up to field management or the HC of the home team to deal with this. As an umpire, you do not eject or touch the "invaders", your job (along with your partner) is to note the outs, the count and who is on base during the stoppage. You may actually end the game right there if it deems necessary say, if damage was done to the field or something like that.

As far as the pitcher being rattled by the incident, that is not your problem. You just stay in touch with his HC and when he says that his pitcher is ready, that's all you need. You are not the pitcher's coach or mommy, you are the umpire.

It is unfortunate when an incident like this occurs but that is just the way it goes sometimes.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Grab a bat, hope someone restrains said idiots, then have them taken into the dugout, where you proceed to beat them to a pulp for causing your game to be unnecessarily delayed.

Problem solved.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWolf View Post
Hi,

Recently at a High School game we had an incident with fans.

I wasn't at the game in question but it got me thinking.

This is what happened:

The coaches put on their closing pitcher they return to the dugout and 2 teenagers run onto the field. They run up to the pitcher and start dancing around him, taunting and mocking him.

The base ump shoos them off the field and they run off back into the crowd. They get given some money by someone in the crowd and they victoriously wave their money above their heads. (So I'm thinking obviously a dare.)

The pitcher was completely put off by this whole incident cause his first impression was that these two guys were going to harm him.

If it had been older players both dugouts would probably have emptied.

From an Umpiring perspective how is this supposed to be handled?

If it had been me umpiring I most probably would have just stood there for a while in shock. Then I'd eject the two teenagers out the park and probably the manager of the home team.

The best thing (I think) would have been to stop them even getting on to the field. But without expecting something like this it would be difficult.

Thanks
SAWolf
I let the police handle it. We have law enforcement at every game, and they are more than welcome to have a chance to take care of some business.

No law enforcement, we don't have a game. That's our state rules and works wonderfullly.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

The AD should take care of it. As stated, there's nothing we can do.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 09:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Well we do not have police protection for these games. We are lucky if there is any organized security at any baseball game.

If this was the case in my area, I would stop the game and not start the game until the individuals were removed. And when they are removed we would continue the game. The home management is often the home coach and they would either call the police or have school personnel take action (which means they would call the police if the fans did not leave).

Peace
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

That's when you hope that Mike Curtis' son is the defense' HC or maybe his grandson is F2. That was the best way I've ever seen of fans running onto the field.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I don't know if I would say that spectators are out of the realm of an umpires jurisdiction. We are responsible for the proceedings of the game (including but not limited to maintaining reasonable order, fair play, player safety, etc...). HOWEVER, (as most basketball officials know) NEVER go into or communicate with anyone in the stands. It's a losing proposition 100% of the time. An official should have game management take care of any situation with the spectators if the official believe it is effecting the proceedings of the game.

In the OP situation, I would have a quick conference with game management (usually around here that is the HC) and have that person removed from the facility. I would treat this violation exactly the same as someone who left the stands in a basketball game. There is no reason for it! That being said, I would go talk with the pitcher, VC, and/or partner while the dirty work is being done. There is no sense to watch the events and make it the center of attention more than it already has become.

Some situations that I am going to address with game management:
  1. Spectator coming onto the field
  2. Spectator using artificial noise device (ie blow horn)
  3. Spectator using blatant inappropriate language
  4. Spectator using racial slurs
  5. Spectator excessively taunting a player

On the other hand, I am never going to have rabbit ears. I have had very few situations of a spectator being out of control. Only one time have I EVER had to address the situation. All the other times the coaches took care of it before I said anything.

-Josh
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 10:59am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Final Four Officials were, Tommy O'Neill, Tony Greene and Curtis Shaw. Now stop asking already!!!
...but there are only three names. I thought it was final FOUR...

JJ
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 11:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
...but there are only three names. I thought it was final FOUR...

JJ
It is an inside joke.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I'd also make sure a detailed, dispassionate, report is filed with the state association, with the school's AD, Principal, and School District Superintendent getting a copy.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFan7 View Post
I'd also make sure a detailed, dispassionate, report is filed with the state association, with the school's AD, Principal, and School District Superintendent getting a copy.
I forgot about report such incident to the state! I knew I was missing something. I would let the state deal with the situation after that. I don't find a reason to let the school's AD, Principal, etc...They will hear about it from the state.

-Josh
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I had a drugged out student try to walk across the outfield (barefoot) during a fall league game when I was still out in Pennsylvania.

He told security he didn't know there was a game going on...
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

[/URL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
That's when you hope that Mike Curtis' son is the defense' HC or maybe his grandson is F2. That was the best way I've ever seen of fans running onto the field.
Didn't he have that cast on his arm when he leveled that idiot? That was a classic.

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdP2G7UtS9I

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Apr 22, 2009 at 12:34am.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
I had a drugged out student try to walk across the outfield (barefoot) during a fall league game when I was still out in Pennsylvania.

He told security he didn't know there was a game going on...
I was working an inner-city High School game, when a woman walked through a gate in right field, and strolled across the field, exiting through a gate in left. She was talking to herself the entire jaunt, and we may as well not have been there, as far as she was concerned.