The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Yup thats what happened in my game last night. Shooter jumps (tallest kid on the floor) ball gets blocked while still holding ball, ball is released but still getting blocked, ball lands back in shooters hands, shooter lands back on the court.

I'm trail and I call held ball. After the game, partner is not sure either way about the call. As soon as I blow the whistle I have my own doubts. Between the force of the block and the shooters attempt to shoot I ended up feeling like WTF after I made the call. Was it a shot attempt? yes. Was the ball released? yes. But was the ball released purely because of A1's attempt or B1's block? Both. So that was my quasi justification for the jump ball.
Because the ball was released, whether it was due to the block or the attempt, the player was not "prevented from releasing the ball to pass or try for goal." I think this should have been a no call.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 09:34am
beware big brother

Quote:
But was the ball released purely because of A1's attempt or B1's block? Both.
Is this the first documented case of quantum mechanics and superposition occurring in a basketball game?
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Is this the first documented case of quantum mechanics and superposition occurring in a basketball game?
Tell me about it. It was almost like he lost control. And if that was the case and it hits the floor its a held ball. I don't know anymore. I should know better. Patient whistle, and pass on this one.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 12:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Schrodinger's cat is simultaneously interested and not interested in the response.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tell me about it. It was almost like he lost control. And if that was the case and it hits the floor its a held ball. I don't know anymore. I should know better. Patient whistle, and pass on this one.
????
As for the rest, sometime you just need to officiate.

As I envision the play, I have nothing -- the ball came out.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 02:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lots Of Variables ...

When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball.

If, in this situation, the shooter loses control of the ball because of the block, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues.

If, in this situation, the defender simply touches the ball, and the airborne shooter returns to the floor holding the ball, it’s a traveling violation.

When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Schrodinger's cat is simultaneously interested and not interested in the response.
But what would your call be from the slit? Double dribble?
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yup thats what happened in my game last night. Shooter jumps (tallest kid on the floor) ball gets blocked while still holding ball, ball is released but still getting blocked, ball lands back in shooters hands, shooter lands back on the court.

I'm trail and I call held ball. After the game, partner is not sure either way about the call. As soon as I blow the whistle I have my own doubts. Between the force of the block and the shooters attempt to shoot I ended up feeling like WTF after I made the call. Was it a shot attempt? yes. Was the ball released? yes. But was the ball released purely because of A1's attempt or B1's block? Both. So that was my quasi justification for the jump ball.
1. The action as described doesn't warrant a whistle.
2. Was the tallest kid on the floor in the FT lane? Wondering about PCA and thinking that the Trail may have involved himself in a marginal decision in the Lead's primary.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 11:29pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Is that before the box is opened and the cat is both alive and dead at the same time, or after the box has been opened and it has been determined that the cat is dead or alive?
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. The action as described doesn't warrant a whistle.
2. Was the tallest kid on the floor in the FT lane? Wondering about PCA and thinking that the Trail may have involved himself in a marginal decision in the Lead's primary.
He was on the high post on the leads side. And I absolutely kicked this one