The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Blocked shot - Held ball or No call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97219-blocked-shot-held-ball-no-call.html)

deecee Fri Feb 07, 2014 09:38pm

Blocked shot - Held ball or No call

I can't find anything that definitively cover the following.

Shooter jumps and the ball is blocked so it barely leaves the shooters hand. Ball returns to the shooters hands before he returns to the floor.

No call or held ball?

SNIPERBBB Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 921812)

Shooter jumps and the ball is blocked so it barely leaves the shooters hand. Ball returns to the shooters hands before he returns to the floor.

No call or held ball?

If it leaves the hand at all, no call.

Terrapins Fan Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:50pm

I think you have to see it to know for sure, it could be either. The easy call is Jump ball, then there's no confusion on the sideline.

SNIPERBBB Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:59pm

4.25.2 SITUATION:

A1 jumps to try for goal or to pass the ball. B1 leaps or reaches and is able to put his/her hands on the ball and keep A1 from releasing it. A1: (a) returns to the floor with the ball; or (b) is unable to control the ball and it drops to the floor.

RULING: A held ball results immediately in (a) and (b) when *airborne A1 is prevented from releasing the ball to pass or try for goal.

ART. 2

An opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an *airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.

BryanV21 Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 921812)

No call or held ball?

As soon as the ball leaves the shooter's hand it's a shot, and there's no team or player control during a shot. So I don't see how you can have anything but a "play on".

Then again, until the shooter returns to the floor he/she is an "airborne shooter". My guess is that the "airborne shooter" only comes into affect if there's a foul. But I could be wrong there.

Camron Rust Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 921819)
As soon as the ball leaves the shooter's hand it's a shot, and there's no team or player control during a shot. So I don't see how you can have anything but a "play on".

Then again, until the shooter returns to the floor he/she is an "airborne shooter". My guess is that the "airborne shooter" only comes into affect if there's a foul. But I could be wrong there.

No. It isn't necessarily a shot. If the defender knocks it out, rather than the "shooter" releasing it, I wouldn't call it a shot and team control continues....(edit) and player control briefly ends but starts again when the ball returned to the shooter's hands.

BryanV21 Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 921822)
No. It isn't necessarily a shot. If the defender knocks it out, rather than the "shooter" releasing it, I wouldn't call it a shot and team/player control continues.

I understand that that would be the case, but the wording in the OP makes it sound like the ball did leave the shooter's hand. That's how I took saying "it barely leaves the shooters hand"?.

just another ref Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:36pm

If the ball leaves the hands, no matter how briefly, player control is lost. The shooter may then grab the ball and return to the floor with no whistle, but there will be a lot of noise from the fans/opposing players and coach.

Camron Rust Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 921823)
I understand that that would be the case, but the wording in the OP makes it sound like the ball did leave the shooter's hand. That's how I took saying "it barely leaves the shooters hand"?.

It left the hand due to the block, not the shooter releasing it in the form of a shot.

BryanV21 Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 921825)
It left the hand due to the block, not the shooter releasing it in the form of a shot.

I guess I misread the post.

Camron Rust Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 921826)
I guess I misread the post.

Either way, it is legal for the shooter to land with the ball. The only difference would be statistical.

Adam Sat Feb 08, 2014 01:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 921827)
Either way, it is legal for the shooter to land with the ball. The only difference would be statistical.

If the shooter does not catch the ball in the air, the difference could be significant if there's a foul by the shooter or his teammate while the ball is loose.

Camron Rust Sat Feb 08, 2014 03:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 921831)
If the shooter does not catch the ball in the air, the difference could be significant if there's a foul by the shooter or his teammate while the ball is loose.

True, but in the OP, it was caught....or at least that is how I read it.

Adam Sat Feb 08, 2014 07:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 921837)
True, but in the OP, it was caught....or at least that is how I read it.

Me too. I was expanding a bit.

deecee Sat Feb 08, 2014 09:10am

Yup thats what happened in my game last night. Shooter jumps (tallest kid on the floor) ball gets blocked while still holding ball, ball is released but still getting blocked, ball lands back in shooters hands, shooter lands back on the court.

I'm trail and I call held ball. After the game, partner is not sure either way about the call. As soon as I blow the whistle I have my own doubts. Between the force of the block and the shooters attempt to shoot I ended up feeling like WTF after I made the call. Was it a shot attempt? yes. Was the ball released? yes. But was the ball released purely because of A1's attempt or B1's block? Both. So that was my quasi justification for the jump ball.