Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Coach: "You guys are calling a horrible game."

Me: "I know coach, but this is the one we were assigned."
LOL I don't know if I'd ever use that but that's pretty good!!
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 02:39pm

I heard one from a guy who is probably the only one who could get away with it. A coach was going quite nuts so he turned and said to him, "Coach. What's wrong with you?!"
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Remember that anything you say can and will be used against you.
I'd say it was about my second year of learning to officiate. I was at a camp to learn the 3 man. The wknd tournement game I was in was between two coaches who must have squared off on multiple occassions before and you could see the tension between them.
These teams were seated side by side on the base line with the scorers table in the corner. I thought my biggest worry was how in the heck am I suppose to learn rotations and proper reporting with a set-up like this.
Late 3rd quarter team A calls a time out. Before end of time out I see water all over the floor and tell coach to clean it up quick. Team A can't find a towel or anything (thanks game management) and so I ask coach B if they might have a rag or towel.......his responds....and here we go now...."Ain't my f---ing water". He was busy instructing his girls and making use of the delay. A rag was found under his bench and I wiped up the water with my foot. As I return with the rag,the coach grabs it from my hand and asked"And where would you like me to put it" .......My bad is coming......With a smile on my face and a chuckle I said "Well I'm not going to tell you to stick it up your a--" Minutes later I rotated out (4 man working 3) and did I ever get an ear full from the camp coodinator. I had seen his assistant leave the bench shortly afterward. Off to the coordinator I guess now.
I'm sure my words were twisted and used against me while I was only trying to lighting things up a bit.
Lesson learned.........Stick to the facts and choose your words carefully and move away from hot head coaches
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
I'd say it was about my second year of learning to officiate. I was at a camp to learn the 3 man. The wknd tournement game I was in was between two coaches who must have squared off on multiple occassions before and you could see the tension between them.
These teams were seated side by side on the base line with the scorers table in the corner. I thought my biggest worry was how in the heck am I suppose to learn rotations and proper reporting with a set-up like this.
Late 3rd quarter team A calls a time out. Before end of time out I see water all over the floor and tell coach to clean it up quick. Team A can't find a towel or anything (thanks game management) and so I ask coach B if they might have a rag or towel.......his responds....and here we go now...."Ain't my f---ing water". He was busy instructing his girls and making use of the delay. A rag was found under his bench and I wiped up the water with my foot. As I return with the rag,the coach grabs it from my hand and asked"And where would you like me to put it" .......My bad is coming......With a smile on my face and a chuckle I said "Well I'm not going to tell you to stick it up your a--" Minutes later I rotated out (4 man working 3) and did I ever get an ear full from the camp coodinator. I had seen his assistant leave the bench shortly afterward. Off to the coordinator I guess now.
I'm sure my words were twisted and used against me while I was only trying to lighting things up a bit.
Lesson learned.........Stick to the facts and choose your words carefully and move away from hot head coaches
You should've whacked his assistant for leaving the bench area. I'm only half-kidding.

And you need to know when you have built up enough credibility where you can use that line.

Last night I used a team's Slip-Not. Coach, who I know well, laughed and said I owed him a call. I told him, "No problem, but I'm not telling you which one it will be." We both laughed.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:06am
Play through it!!!

Quote:
Stick to the facts and choose your words carefully and move away from hot head coaches
Or just go ahead and bust their ass and go on with it!!!!
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I don't get smart with my comments at "real" games but at rec games I have no problem with it - especially since at times we are both officials and game administration at some venues.

At one game I had a guy sitting in the corner harping on every call. Finally in the second quarter I turned to him and said, "I guess I'll see you at our meeting tomorrow". He looked at me with a puzzled expression and asked " what meeting". I said, "the referee meeting. You're so interested in calling basket games I was sure you would be there to pick up your assignments." He didn't say anything the rest of the day.

I have only ever said two things to a "real" coach. Once, in response to a lop sided foul count I said, "I don't count them, I just call them" and once when a coach objected to a travel call I made by saying "come on ref, he gets two steps" I said as I ran past him "he took two and a half coach"
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
I would have wacked coach B for using the f-bomb. And after coach B grabbed the towel was his tone arrogant when he asked that question? If it was I would have wacked him again and told him to take the towel with you out of the gym.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 01:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The one thing I hate about camps is that the games are rec games that the clinicians expect people to call with the same protocol and decorum as "real" games. And the coaches are not real coaches most times and don't deserve to be treated as such.

Like I said above, if I saw a coach leave the bench area to "talk" to someone else, I'd probably whack him for leaving the bench area.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Me reporting to table: White, 32, Illegal use of hands, 2-throws.
Idiot: You got to call it both ways.
Me: 32 white, hit, 2 throws. That's the only other way I know.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

After reading that thread about the PA official who said he was bumped, I have another.

Coach: You'll never work here again!
Me: That's the first time you've been right all night!
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You should've whacked his assistant for leaving the bench area. I'm only half-kidding.
10-4-4, right?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:58pm

I'll add this one that I don't think is smart alec but maybe is done with a little attitude. I hope it's ok. It will happen when there is a close play where someone watching the play think a foul could have been called either way.

So let's say you have a foul on White. Coach Red however thinks immediately when you call it that you've called it on Red. So he starts in with the whining. As you come to the table the whining continues. Not enough for a technical but it goes on. He continues and everybody in the gym can hear him making a spectacle of himself. So instead of answering him back you just stand there and wait until he quits. It might take a little time but don't say a word. Then when he's done and the gym is dead quiet you look at the table and say, "The foul is on White. 3-2. Holding. Red Ball."

Then just turn and walk away. It takes some timing but you haven't said a word and the coach has pretty much hung himself.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:58pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
With a smile on my face and a chuckle I said "Well I'm not going to tell you to stick it up your a--"
Your problem was that you were too specific!

You would have gotten the same effect with, “Wherever you'd like to, coach!” and the same smile … but then what you said isn't anything that can get you in trouble.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 11:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I know I posted this one years ago, but here it is again for all you newbies.

This was at a local rec league MS game. Coach wants to argue with me about a rule. Yeah - like he's the rules expert and I'm not. Here's what I said to him, "Coach, I know how we can settle this. We'll get a horse costume. I'll get in the front and you just be yourself."

No problem with him the rest of the season.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 11:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

I worked a JH game last night. Three games in a row, the first two were smooth. The final game were the older kids (I believe 8th graders) and we get through the first half without much of a hitch. Well at halftime we were hanging around because there was no locker room and one of the coaches felt that he could come to us and tell us how to call the game. Now the floor was tile, so kids were not with perfect footing. So he wanted us to call more travels. Now at the JH level I am rather lenient with travels as if I called everything technically we would not have a possession without a whistle. So I told him, "OK we will call every travel you want."

Second half started, every time his team had the ball, we called every "technical travel." Stuff I would not have called in a HS game because it was not very obvious, I called. They got mad, I did not care. Game took longer, I did not care.

After the game the host school people complained about how much the team they played were a bunch of whiners.

Fun times.

Peace