The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 10:49am
Often wrong never n doubt
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 737
Elbow Contact Avove the Shoulder post foul call

Player is trapped. Player chins the ball but in doing so is fouled on the arm. A moment later at almost the same time the whistle is sounding for the original foul the Offensive player is pivoting and connects her elbow with the defensive players nose. Let's assume for this discussion that in this area that moving elbow contact above the shoulders is an intentional foul. Since the ball was dead on the original foul does this make the elbow contact a Technical foul do to the ball being dead?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 10:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Player is trapped. Player chins the ball but in doing so is fouled on the arm. A moment later at almost the same time the whistle is sounding for the original foul the Offensive player is pivoting and connects her elbow with the defensive players nose. Let's assume for this discussion that in this area that moving elbow contact above the shoulders is an intentional foul. Since the ball was dead on the original foul does this make the elbow contact a Technical foul do to the ball being dead?
If the elbow is at approximately the same time, it could be a double foul.

-Josh
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 11:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Player is trapped. Player chins the ball but in doing so is fouled on the arm. A moment later at almost the same time the whistle is sounding for the original foul the Offensive player is pivoting and connects her elbow with the defensive players nose. Let's assume for this discussion that in this area that moving elbow contact above the shoulders is an intentional foul. Since the ball was dead on the original foul does this make the elbow contact a Technical foul do to the ball being dead?
By rule, yes.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 11:43am
Often wrong never n doubt
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
If the elbow is at approximately the same time, it could be a double foul.

-Josh
How close does it have to be to be approximately the same time? In this instance the one took place at the same time whistle was blowing for the first one so there was obviously some delay but not much. The ball was dead as some time elapsed between them.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 62
Call the double. Sounds like the elbow motion had probably all ready started
if it was as close as you say.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
How close does it have to be to be approximately the same time? In this instance the one took place at the same time whistle was blowing for the first one so there was obviously some delay but not much. The ball was dead as some time elapsed between them.
I'd still call that a double.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 12:20pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
I had one at the beginning of this season. Player is surrounded by defenders, travels, and just after I blow the whistle, the player with the ball elbows a defender in the head. I called a technical -- it was too much to ignore.

Naturally, his coach told me if I had gotten those players off his kid in the first place... :roll eyes:

Still my only technical foul of 2013-14, come to think of it in over 30 dates. Anyone who knows me would probably be surprised by that.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 12:23pm
Often wrong never n doubt
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
Call the double. Sounds like the elbow motion had probably all ready started
if it was as close as you say.
The pivoting with the elbows out was in an attempt to get the arms off of her.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'd still call that a double.
Is it correct that play would resume at the POI if this was called a double foul (where one part of the double foul was common and the other was intentional)? I assume it would be but I can't say that I'm 100% certain.

Edit: I did see in some old posts that this would in fact go to POI. Seems weird though as the most likely POI will probably be a spot throw in for the intentional fouler's team.

Last edited by HokiePaul; Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 02:18pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elbow contact above the shoulders. jeremy341a Basketball 52 Wed Jan 09, 2013 07:47am
Shoulder to shoulder contact bainsey Basketball 3 Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53am
Contact with extended elbow KCRef Basketball 1 Wed Dec 20, 2006 02:18pm
Foul/Contact on a post up lordrayvin Basketball 8 Tue May 30, 2006 01:17am
Contact with elbow bseybs32 Basketball 14 Wed Feb 08, 2006 01:40pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1