The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

That guy

A few times every season I get to work with That Guy. Friday, it was the guy that had no idea how bad of an official he really was. For the first time in 12 seasons I lost my patience with a partner on the court. He said something to me between qtrs about how upset the coaches were and I told him it was because he was never where he was supposed to be. I pointed out exactly where we were positioned on a particular play, where he should have been and why, asked him why he wasn't there and he tried to tell me he WAS there. I told him directly at halftime what he/we needed to do differently but it went in one ear and out the other. When the coaches from both teams are saying "you've gotta help him out", "he's terrible", "we can't have this", and "he's out of position again", and you have a partner that won't even acknowledge he is screwing up, what's the solution? I was trying to call the whole court as he had no idea where to be looking, and even when he had a trainwreck in front of him the whistle usually stayed silent. Oh, he also pointed direction for OOB calls on my line about as quickly as I got the stop clock signal in the air on my whistle. I guess this was the ultimate Get In, Get Done, Get Out game. I'm ready for another game to put this behind me.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
I guess this was the ultimate Get In, Get Done, Get Out game. I'm ready for another game to put this behind me.
Yep....move on. Some people just don't want to be helped and you can't make them.

Depending on your position in your organization, it might even warrant a conversation with the assignor or trainers. This may or may not be appropriate depending on how things are done in your area.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

I had that guy last season in a JV game. He showed up about one minute into the game with his shoes one covered with snow.Yes,I had to wipe off the court! He was a newbee and and never in position,never let me know what he was calling and would never start a BC count. Said he did'nt need to if there was'nt any pressing. Sure enough a trap was set and I as lead had to come back and call a 10 second when I had about 13 seconds off the clock. Any advice I gave him he just blew off.
Told the AD that I did not want to work with him again as a partner. This year I never got called back and found out that the guy was the ADs brothers son-in-law.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 08:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
That Sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
Told the AD that I did not want to work with him again as a partner. This year I never got called back and found out that the guy was the ADs brothers son-in-law.
Is your area big enough that you were able to get games elsewhere? Hope so.

I evaluate a good deal of Rec Officials in one of my Associations. I had a situation a few yrs where I observed a terrible official (didn't run, barely crossed half court, didn't count, appeared to be lazy and not care, etc.), and told the Assignor. Turns out the terrible ref was the Assignor's younger brother. Good thing was, ther terrible ref was never asked back. WINNER!
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Busy enough with out.
Off topic......How do I add those funny quotes? Thanks......
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Funny, I've never refereed with "that guy"......... oh! oh!
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

My experience with "THAT GUY" is they are almost always there for the $$$. Many of the one's I know work a ton of lower level games and men’s rec. I haven't had to work with one of these guys in a while. When I did all they could talk about is how many games they were working. Not the quality of play, or things they were learning along the way. My last experience THAT GUY took a JV game from a friend. We did a little pre-game and the usual feeling out with someone you have just meet. It was uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as watching him fumble through even the most basic of mechanics and procedures. THAT GUY works a lot of games, and THAT GUY watches a lot ot TV (probably NBA)! Maybe he has watched his share of Varsity Level basketball and thinks "that is not that hard, I can do that". THAT GUY found out differently THAT NIGHT.......

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 01:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

This from a boys varsity game in the not too distant past.

That Guy and his apparently new partner had the JV game. Partner and I stood in the corner on arrival and watched some of the game going on.

Visiting fans were ALL OVER these guys. All of a sudden, That Guy turned and directly threatened to clear out the section. Now I was horrified...AND entertained.

A bit later, the other official missed a blatant illegal dribble against the home team. The visiting coach took a timeout at the next opportunity and stood staring at the official. That Guy came over and got face to face with this coach and the two of them went at it for a bit. No technical foul or anything, just a good old argument between the two of them.

We start the varsity game. Didn't hear a thing from anyone the entire game. Visiting assistant was the JV head coach. At the introduction, he kind of ignored us (and I figured that was a hold-over from the previous game). His bad mood didn't last long.

And yet: About midway through the first quarter, That Guy came through one of the gym doors and stood in a corner by himself -- wearing a pull-over jacket from the home school.

Good times, good times.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

My suggestion: forget about it.

Be responsible for the things you can control. Your assignor had this other guy on the game, so he is responsible for him...not you. If the coaches have a problem, they need to go to the assignor, not to you.

I am happy to help out less experienced officials, particularly in youth games. But I had an experience recently with a guy who just wasn't getting it. I realized then, that it is not my job to help him get better. He just didn't want to listen, didn't want to hear what I had to say. So I don't offer the help -- unless someone makes a point of asking for it.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
My suggestion: forget about it.

Be responsible for the things you can control. Your assignor had this other guy on the game, so he is responsible for him...not you. If the coaches have a problem, they need to go to the assignor, not to you.

I am happy to help out less experienced officials, particularly in youth games. But I had an experience recently with a guy who just wasn't getting it. I realized then, that it is not my job to help him get better. He just didn't want to listen, didn't want to hear what I had to say. So I don't offer the help -- unless someone makes a point of asking for it.
As I became more experienced, I was always willing to try to provide tips or information to newer officials. It becomes apparent pretty quick who wants and appreciates the help and who doesn't. Didn't ever stop me from offering, though. Most of the time, I would just ask..."Hey, do you mind if I give you some advice, tips, feedback, etc.?" and then go from there. But I never stopped offering.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Andy - from here I know you're a knowledgable guy and your advice to these guys is probably solid.

But how many of us have come across the other "that guy"? The one with a constant stream of unsolicited advice - much of which is utter nonsense. My 2nd baseball game in a new area (no one knew me yet, thus no one knew I had 19 years at the time under my belt), I was sent to work a relatively decent level high school game with "Advice guy".

Our pre-game was not a pregame but rather his opinions of both coaches and several of the players on the teams we were playing. After the first half inning as I'm going to my between-innings spot, he waves me in. During the "1-minute" between half-innings, I get at least 3 minutes of advice... things like making sure I mirror him on foul/fair calls, my "D-slot" (wtf is that in a 2-man game???) was too far toward 2nd base, I was too slow on my base calls several times, etc. I tried to walk back to my spot at least 5 times but he kept talking and being new to the area, I didn't want to be rude. Finally ended the conversation by nodding and smiling and going to my spot.

Next half inning I somehow managed to not see him waving me in. Middle of the 2nd he comes all the way up the line to offer some more advice, again going WAY too long between innings. Poor home pitcher probably wore out his arm warming up in the first 2 innings.

I avoided him successfully until after the bottom of the third, which unfortunately ended with both of us calling an out at 3rd base - at which point I'd had enough.

Blocked him in arbiter that night, discussed the debacle with my new assignor and learned he was a FOURTH YEAR guy.

Don't be THAT guy either...

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Don't be THAT guy either...
So incredibly +1
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Funny, I've never refereed with "that guy"......... oh! oh!
If you don't know who that guy is, maybe you're that guy!!
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 03:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
Many of the one's I know work a ton of lower level games and men’s rec.
Don't you mean "men's wreck".