The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You know, I want to take back what I said about transition -- the L was in perfect position to take this play and, well, missed it.

Related thought: I've always found it odd that the L making the wrong call is preferable to the blarge -- at least ONE of them got it right.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I agree that the L should get first crack at this...especially since this is a defender trying to slide laterally into position to take the charge. The lead is in the best position to see that side to side movement. The C can have a whistle on this but he needs to hold any preliminary signal and/or have a later (cadence) whistle IMO.

As is, the C had the right call IMO.
I actually think the C had the best view. The defender was slipping forward into the dribbler. The C could easily see the defender moving forward....which is where the block would be.

The L should have been able to see that but it would have been much more difficult. The L would have seen lateral movement better, but not forward movement....and laterally, the defender looked like he got there to me.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 01:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I'm not penalizing him for it, I'm just saying it makes the call tougher because it makes any small forward movement by the defense harder to detect.
That was significant movement and he caught the offensive with his left leg, which was outside the frame of a natural stance.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 03:14pm
Often wrong never n doubt

On another topic I noticed the start of this game was delayed for several minutes while the officials sorted out an issue. At the end after talking to several players, one person off the Miami bench I didn't recongnize and the head coach one player removed his all white arm compression sleeves and the game began. Another player was wearing orange an white sleeves. I don't know what the NCAA rule is buy I would guess it is the sleeves must match for all players?
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 03:28pm
(Something hilarious)

I agree with tjones1 and APG here, in that L is in best position to call this (although it might not have been the right call on this play. It's debatable, at least). Additionally, this is one of many examples, in my opinion and watching experience (certainly not calling), of officials in the Men's game working a lot more loosely with PCA's than in the Women's game, and being way too quick to whistle on fouls in others' PCA's.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 03:32pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
On another topic I noticed the start of this game was delayed for several minutes while the officials sorted out an issue. At the end after talking to several players, one person off the Miami bench I didn't recongnize and the head coach one player removed his all white arm compression sleeves and the game began. Another player was wearing orange an white sleeves. I don't know what the NCAA rule is buy I would guess it is the sleeves must match for all players?
Yes, the all have to match. And they have to be a single solid color (black, white, beige, or any color contained in the jersey).
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 03:46pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Yes, the all have to match. And they have to be a single solid color (black, white, beige, or any color contained in the jersey).

Orange and white sleeves stayed on and the solid white ones got taken off. You could tell when the official was talking to the Coach that the Coach thought what ever he was saying was rediculous.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 03:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Orange and white sleeves stayed on and the solid white ones got taken off. You could tell when the official was talking to the Coach that the Coach thought what ever he was saying was rediculous.
They always think that, but it's not as if the rule is new.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There were a couple of Miami players with half white and half orange sleeves (#23 and #15 in the clips) and I thought there was at least one with all orange (the ESPN3 replay showed another player that was not in the game during the clip). At least to the best of my recollection.

Last edited by MathReferee; Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 04:35pm.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Spelling counts!
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes, compression sleeves have to be the same for all players.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
For this season, they can have 2 colors on one sleeve. Many schools had ordered multi-colored sleeves before the rule change so a 1 season waiver has been given.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Given this situation and the one in Texas with the undershirts, was there an NCAA memo issued recently instructing the officials to take care of this stuff? I have difficulty believing that the guys suddenly decided to start doing it on their own.
If there was a memo, it would be great if someone who has access could copy and post it.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

I posted in another thread that I had one conference supervisor who sent out an email specifically to address undershirts.

There is a waiver this season concerning dual-colored arm sleeves, so adherence to the rule was addressed in that memo.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Block all day every day.

With that said, this should be a single whistle from the Lead and the Lead would have been wrong. No problem, we're all wrong sometimes.

If i'm the C, I'm only cracking if my Lead doesn't have a whistle at all.

Thanks BNR for the update on sleeves at the Div 1 level.