The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 08:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
I think everyone in our area went to this camp. Everytime, I see an official look for help on an out-of-bounds play, the other official always sees it and gives him a direction. It's uncanny. I haven't seen an alternating possession in this situation in years. Sometimes, I want to argue with the partner that "there's no way you saw that clearly", but they do such a darn good job selling it with authority. Darn!
Here's a hint about this. There's about a 0% chance I'm putting 2 thumbs in the air if a partner asks me for help.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Guessing Game ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There's about a 0% chance I'm putting 2 thumbs in the air if a partner asks me for help.
And what if you were watching for an illegal screen your primary coverage area and didn't see the ball go out of bounds? Are you still not putting up two thumbs?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And what if you were watching for an illegal screen your primary coverage area and didn't see the ball go out of bounds? Are you still not putting up two thumbs?
Yes, that's what he is saying. And that's what the camp observer was trying to convey also.

Remember, he is not telling YOU or ANYBODY ELSE what to do, he is saying what he would do.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That's what I'm saying.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Thumbs Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And that's what the camp observer was trying to convey also.
This has definitely got to be a "When in Rome ..." thing. Two, or more, officials, who have absolutely no idea who last touched a ball, that subsequently goes out of bounds, with a rule in their pocket that allows them to remedy this situation with a held ball, and instead, an official mentally flips a coin?

Well, we pretty much do the same thing here with train wrecks. If we don't know to call a block, or a charge, we are told to guess, and then to sell the call.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 06:37pm.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 06:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Call, For Everyone But ...

Quote:
... that's what the camp observer was trying to convey also.
I've given this a little more thought. Let's say that it's not a difficult out of bounds call, it just that (in a two person game) both officials didn't see the play.

The lead, tableside, is closely watching a very physical matchup in the opposite tableside post position. The trail is closely watching some possible "ugly" illegal screens near the opposite tableside wing. A long pass is thrown from A1, unguarded, near the table, toward deep wing A2, also table side, who is guarded by B2. The pass misses all twenty fingers by an inch, and goes out of bounds on the lead's endline. Everybody in the gymnasium, including the two coaches, knows who caused the ball to go out of bounds except the two officials. Lead sounds his whistle, holds up his open hand to stop the clock, and looks to the trail for help. The trail, schooled by this camp observer, mentally flips a coin, loses the coin flip, and calls, and signals, A ball.

This just doesn't seem right, but like I said earlier, it's one of those "When in Rome ..." situations.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 06:40pm.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 09:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I've given this a little more thought. Let's say that it's not a difficult out of bounds call, it just that (in a two person game) both officials didn't see the play.

The lead, tableside, is closely watching a very physical matchup in the opposite tableside post position. The trail is closely watching some possible "ugly" illegal screens near the opposite tableside wing. A long pass is thrown from A1, unguarded, near the table, toward deep wing A2, also table side, who is guarded by B2. The pass misses all twenty fingers by an inch, and goes out of bounds on the lead's endline. Everybody in the gymnasium, including the two coaches, knows who caused the ball to go out of bounds except the two officials. Lead sounds his whistle, holds up his open hand to stop the clock, and looks to the trail for help. The trail, schooled by this camp observer, mentally flips a coin, loses the coin flip, and calls, and signals, A ball.

This just doesn't seem right, but like I said earlier, it's one of those "When in Rome ..." situations.
My answers always apply to 3-man unless otherwise noted. And as I do still go to camp, I understand the philosophy being espoused that, between 3 very competent officials, someone needs to know who last touched the basketball. It had to have happened in somebody's primary.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

In your situation, a brief look at the players starting for the other end of the floor is all you need to make the call.

I just don't know how many times it can be said. There are clinicians who consider it poor officiating to NOT have a call amongst the crew (and that includes 2-man for many of them).
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My answers always apply to 3-man unless otherwise noted. And as I do still go to camp, I understand the philosophy being espoused that, between 3 very competent officials, someone needs to know who last touched the basketball. It had to have happened in somebody's primary.
Hopefully with 3, someone will have a good look at the play. With 2, the odds are much less likely that, when the primary official gets thier line blocked, the other official will have a look at all.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:13am
We don't rent pigs

If I'm the one asked for help, if I don't know anything I will give a subtle shrug or shake of the head. If I'm the one asking, and I get 0 help, if I have an educated guess based on player reaction or anything at all, I'll go with that. But if nobody has any idea at all, I see the arrow as the least of the evils. Having said that, I don't recall the last time I used the arrow in this situation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In your situation, a brief look at the players starting for the other end of the floor is all you need to make the call.
This. The players will almost always give it away with their first step. If both teams start heading one way, you probably ought to point that way.