The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 11:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see why you need to "ask" for help loudly. If I am holding my hand up wiht no direction, my partners should know (or I would think they would know) I did not see the entire play. I guess that is regional, but often not needed around here. There are some that will say something, but looking at their partner does the trick.

Peace
In these parts, verbalizing "help" is expected. I once got reprimanded by a supervisor for not saying it loud enough so that everyone was aware I needed help.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 11:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

If I'm asking for help, please don't give me an "I don't know" shrug.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Per the NFHS officials manual ... 2.3.2. D. 3 (Two person)
When the ball goes out of bounds and the responsible official needs help, he/she should look in the direction of the other official. That official should be prepared to give assistance. If the responsible official asks for assistance, the other official should verbally and visually signal the appropriate call - the officials do not need to confer in this situation.

(Three person) 3.3.2. D. 4

When the ball goes out of bounds and the responsible official needs help, he/she should look in the direction of the nearer official or the official sharing that area of responsibility. That nearby official should be prepared to give assistance. If the responsible official asks for assistance, the nearby official should verbally and visually signal the appropriate call - the officials do not need to confer in this situation. On the other hand, if a non-responsible official has information regarding the out-of-bounds call, he/she may quickly approach the calling official to share the information and then leave the call to the responsible official.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Related

If you are the one being asked for help, do you only verbalize and point?

As soon as I'm asked, I crack the whistle, then verbalize and point. Basically I'm taking the call once asked by my partner to take the call.

Anyone else?
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post

As soon as I'm asked, I crack the whistle, then verbalize and point. Basically I'm taking the call once asked by my partner to take the call.

Anyone else?
It's not your call -- it's still your partner's call.

And, the ball is already dead and you're not reversing anything, so there's no need for a whistle.

So, just point and verbalize the color. The partner should then mimic that.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's not your call -- it's still your partner's call.

And, the ball is already dead and you're not reversing anything, so there's no need for a whistle.

So, just point and verbalize the color. The partner should then mimic that.
So in cases where you are reversing something, you do crack your whistle?

In cases where I'm offering information, such as RA assistance, I don't crack whistle, I just come in and offer information. I let the calling official do all the work.

In cases where I have definite knowledge that someone else tipped the ball before it went OOB, I also don't crack whistle, I just run in and give information and let my partner either reverse or not.

However, the above mentioned play is the only time I do this.

That's interesting. Maybe I'm doing it backwards
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Anyone else?
That's how I do it. Sometimes with, sometimes without the whistle.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
When I get information from my partners, and I am reversing my own call, I do hit my whistle.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I'm reversing my own call (based on input from other officials), then, yes, I blow my whistle.

I recognize that what I typed before was confusing.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see why you need to "ask" for help loudly. If I am holding my hand up wiht no direction, my partners should know (or I would think they would know) I did not see the entire play. I guess that is regional, but often not needed around here. There are some that will say something, but looking at their partner does the trick.

Peace
Works well most of the time, but I've seen what looked like a silent ask for help that turned into a mess. The off official saw the partner pause and look at them (or so they thought) and gave a signal just as the responsible official gave a signal....an opposite direction. The calling official was just "processing" the play before making the decision....a little slow...and the other official took that as an ask for help.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jan 22, 2014 at 01:37pm.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 01:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Works well most of the time, but I've seen what looked like a silent ask for help that turned into a mess. The off official say the partner pause and look at them (or so they thought) and gave a signal just as the responsible official gave a signal....an opposite direction. The calling official was just "processing" the play before making the decision....a little slow...and the other official took that as an ask for help.
Which is why I prefer a verbal "help".
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Works well most of the time, but I've seen what looked like a silent ask for help that turned into a mess. The off official saw the partner pause and look at them (or so they thought) and gave a signal just as the responsible official gave a signal....an opposite direction. The calling official was just "processing" the play before making the decision....a little slow...and the other official took that as an ask for help.
I guess it depends on how you are taught. Around here everyone seems to know that if you have not signaled and looking toward your partner, you are asking for help. And verbally not everyone can hear you either.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 03:53pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Here you hit you whistle and look at your partner. They then give you a discrete point one way or the other by using their index finger right in front of their midsection. Calling official then signals. Usually there is so little delay no one even knows you asked for help.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

If a partner looks to me for help either verbally or non if I have definite knowledge I blow my whistle and point as if it was my call all along.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
My partner did this from L at a camp...neither of us (I was C and it went out near the opposite corner) saw who touched it last. We went by the book and went to the arrow. During the video session with the evaluator afterwards we were told, in a rather matter of fact tone, that we should NEVER leave our partner hanging. "Give him the direction!" When we asked what we should do if we didn't know he just yelled "GIVE HIM THE DIRECTION!"

Okay...not sure I agree with this approach...but Okay.
I think everyone in our area went to this camp. Everytime, I see an official look for help on an out-of-bounds play, the other official always sees it and gives him a direction. It's uncanny. I haven't seen an alternating possession in this situation in years. Sometimes, I want to argue with the partner that "there's no way you saw that clearly", but they do such a darn good job selling it with authority. Darn!