The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Best way to handle? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97083-best-way-handle.html)

Refsmitty Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:08pm

Best way to handle?

Crew debate on how to best (mechanically) to handle a situation...

L has the ball go out of bounds at the end line but either doesn't have a good look or the ball may have been touched bang - bang and L needs help. As L his whistle is blown and his hand goes up.

1) Hold hand up - look at T for help - wait for T to either give a direction or go to a alternate possession signal?

2) Hold hand up - look at T for help - come together to discuss and then give a directional signal?

Camron Rust Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:17pm

3) Hold hand up - verbally ASK T for help. wait for T to either give a direction or go to a alternate possession signal.

frezer11 Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 919464)
3) Hold hand up - verbally ASK T for help. wait for T to either give a direction or go to a alternate possession signal.

Agree. I just make eye contact with raised eyebrows and say "HELP" out loud.

BillyMac Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:29pm

Help ...

Quote:

That's exactly what I do, after sounding my whistle, and exactly what I discus with my partner in our pregame.

I will actually say, "Help Bobby?", in essence, giving the call to him.

Some guys don't like to verbalize, and would rather read body language, but I'm not shy about, literally, asking for help.

Either way is a lot better than what we used to do back in the olden days, waiting for the trail to slyly point a finger in the right direction.

grunewar Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:29pm

Quote:

This is how I do it too.

I was also taught that if you're the one being asked, come out strong and firm - like you saw it, have the call, and are confident. Don't want to be wishy-washy or seem indecisive.

mplagrow Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:36pm

Depends on my partner

I'f I'm with my regular partner, we have a system. Hold the hand up, eye contact means HELP. If he knows, he makes the call. If he doesn't, he shrugs and I make the AP call. Working with someone different, I verbalize a 'help' if I need to.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 919467)
This is how I do it too.

I was also taught that if you're the one being asked, come out strong and firm - like you saw it, have the call, and are confident. Don't want to be wishy-washy or seem indecisive.

And if you don't have it, go right to C (or T, if C is the one being asked).

And, I agree that a "look" can be asking for help, as long as both individuals are aware of this.

Raymond Tue Jan 21, 2014 03:04pm

Whistle plus 'stop clock' mechanic; loudly ask for "Help!" while looking directly at my partner; partner loudly verbalizes color and gives directional signal.

BatteryPowered Tue Jan 21, 2014 03:51pm

My partner did this from L at a camp...neither of us (I was C and it went out near the opposite corner) saw who touched it last. We went by the book and went to the arrow. During the video session with the evaluator afterwards we were told, in a rather matter of fact tone, that we should NEVER leave our partner hanging. "Give him the direction!" When we asked what we should do if we didn't know he just yelled "GIVE HIM THE DIRECTION!"

Okay...not sure I agree with this approach...but Okay.

rockyroad Tue Jan 21, 2014 03:52pm

For some reason, saying "Help" is frowned on around here. Instead, we stop clock and say "Partner". Not sure I see much difference, but oh well.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 21, 2014 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 919487)
For some reason, saying "Help" is frowned on around here. Instead, we stop clock and say "Partner". Not sure I see much difference, but oh well.

Haven't really heard that "Help" is frowned upon but I do say "Partner". I guess it may sound a little better...leaving less room for a coach to turn it against you.

rockyroad Tue Jan 21, 2014 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 919492)
Haven't really heard that "Help" is frowned upon but I do say "Partner". I guess it may sound a little better...leaving less room for a coach to turn it against you.

That's pretty much what we have been told...Coach can't say something stupid like "Why do you need help?". But they really can say that...kind of 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

refbater Tue Jan 21, 2014 04:42pm

Old school

Have always got together, takes the guesswork out of it

Raymond Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refbater (Post 919496)
Have always got together, takes the guesswork out of it

How's that? If the calling official needs help, what is he contributing to the conversation?

JRutledge Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:06am

I do not see why you need to "ask" for help loudly. If I am holding my hand up wiht no direction, my partners should know (or I would think they would know) I did not see the entire play. I guess that is regional, but often not needed around here. There are some that will say something, but looking at their partner does the trick.

Peace