The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Old NOOB looking for advice

I've been reffing for some 20+ years, but since I've been connected to a private middle school system, I've been doing almost exclusively 5th-8th grade games, to the tune of 60 games a year. I've attended one reffing clinic, maintained state licensure, and reffed probably a half dozen high-school games in that time. I now have a regular partner who is young and gung-ho to start doing more high school games. We've been working together for about two years now, and have pretty good chemistry. So starting tomorrow we're picking up some JV and Frosh games. I was hoping some of you vets would share some good advice for someone like myself who's going to have to adjust his game from grade school to high school.

Thanks!
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 08:26am
I miss being on the floor

First and foremost, and most obviously, the game will be faster.

Also, I would think the coaches would be more "involved" at the high school level. Be prepared to talk with coaches more and have a game plan for dealing with confrontation.

Your mechanics need to be sharp. Not that they're not already, I'm sure they are.

Also, I see you're in Wisconsin, so make sure you know when the captain's meeting happens, when you intro yourself to the coaches, etc.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 09:41am
Lighten up, Francis.

My guess is that Freshman basketball is not much different from 8th grade basketball. Make sure you hustle and work hard. Officiate your area of responsibility. Call the POEs. Protect your ball-handlers. Protect your shooters. Communicate with your partner(s). Don't let the table screw up your game (this is a much bigger concern at the Freshman level than at the varsity level).

Good luck!
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
First and foremost, and most obviously, the game will be faster.

Also, I see you're in Wisconsin, so make sure you know when the captain's meeting happens, when you intro yourself to the coaches, etc.
Thanks! Do they DO captain's meetings sub-varsity here in Wisconsin?
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 04:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
Thanks! Do they DO captain's meetings sub-varsity here in Wisconsin?
In my area, yes. I'm still new to the area, though, so I can't speak to yours or other areas.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 04:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Short List ...

Maybe you're doing these already in your middle school games, but if not:

Switch when you're supposed to switch on fouls. Get into correct positions during time outs. No short cuts on throw in situations, put the ball in play where it's supposed to be put in play. Check the book before the game. Find out what the other officials in your area are wearing to games (uniform, business casual, or sloppy casual) and dress accordingly. Confirm games with schools. Find out if the other officials in your area wear jackets pregame, and get one if necessary. Find out from other officials in your area what the "When in Rome ..." fashion police policies are, and interpret accordingly. Be ready to officiate above the rim (basket interference, goaltending, rim hanging, etc.).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 04:44pm.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 05:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
In my area, yes. I'm still new to the area, though, so I can't speak to yours or other areas.
Regardless of what other areas do, try to talk to your partner and TREAT it like your varsity game. Get on the floor a bit earlier, get captains, wear jackets, don't go dressed in uniform to these games. Ask where your locker room / shower is if it doesn't seem like they're going to give you one.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
regardless of what other areas do, try to talk to your partner and treat it like your varsity game. Get on the floor a bit earlier, get captains, wear jackets, don't go dressed in uniform to these games. Ask where your locker room / shower is if it doesn't seem like they're going to give you one.
+1
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Regardless of what other areas do, try to talk to your partner and TREAT it like your varsity game. Get on the floor a bit earlier, get captains, wear jackets, don't go dressed in uniform to these games. Ask where your locker room / shower is if it doesn't seem like they're going to give you one.
Good point about not going dressed in uniform before a game. A year ago or so our third came in dressed but got splashed with dirty snow from a vehicle driving by as he was walking in the parking lot. He tried to clean it off best he could but it didn't look good.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 04:38pm

And of course double check to make sure you have all parts of your uniform.

One of the three at the game I broadcasted last night forgot his pants, had to officiate in khaki pants. That would throw me off big time...but credit to him, I thought he was the best official of the group last night.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 05:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Brown Belt ???

Quote:
... had to officiate in khaki pants.
Did he wear a belt?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 11:08pm

No belt!!
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Did he wear a belt?
An official who's new to our area, but came with several years experience, was told to go "beltless" . . . Yup, Tuesday I followed his game, and there he was with belt loops on his pants, but no belt . . . Go figure!
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What A Good Boy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
An official who's new to our area, but came with several years experience, was told to go "beltless" . . . Yup, Tuesday I followed his game, and there he was with belt loops on his pants, but no belt . . . Go figure!
He literally did what he was told.

Tell him that, according to local guidelines, he'll also have to go pealess, and see if he gets a bladder infection.