The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Advice for the new guy

I work my first high school game tomorrow (4/30). My experience is limited to local rec league. I have been around the game for several years watching my daughter as well as coaching in and running the local rec league.

I have been lurking here, Eteamz, and NFHS forums for a bit, read the books, and gone to games other than my daughters just to watch the umpires. I saw some good ones and some that need to read the umpires manual again.

I have learned a bunch since I decided to umpire, amazing what I didn't know. Anyways, any advice to help get me started on the right foot?

Thanks
Tom Mielke
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Tom,
First - welcome aboard.
Next, when you're on the field, slow down, watch the play, then make your decision, then make your call.
Next, keep a diary. Note everything strange, what was ruled, what does the rule book say, ...
Keep watching others work - I learn something from just about everyone I work with or see work. It ranges from "Wow, I need to work on that." to "Oh my, I hope I never do anything like that."
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Watch others... listen to their war stories
Avoid bad mechanics and positioning...work towards getting your mechanics as good as you can....

Keep coming here...there is nowhere better to get the right answer or good advice on how (or how not) to do things.

And listen to Mike Rowe..... hes almost always right...
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, welcome aboard!

Steve's advice is excellent, you can't go wrong with that! Sounds as if you DO have enough experience to be competent. There always has to be a first time!

One other point to consider, if something crazy DOES happen, (it may not) forget it then, go on to the next play. You can alwys review the boots after the game. Also, ask your partner for a crtique after the game. Most will only give the critique, or advice if you ask. If you have "read the books" and prepared otherwise, yor best critic will be you!

You will have a blast! Report back and tell us how it went.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome!

You've gotten some great advice. One thing I would add is hustle to get into good position. My first years, when I knew I made a bad call it was always because of poor positioning.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard!

All the advice was good...I would add.....

1. Be confident, but not cocky.
2. Ignore parents.
3. Hustle. Be in the best position you can be. You will learn with every game.
4. Ignore parents.
5. Find a vetern umpire that is willing to be a mentor to you. Ask him questions. There are no stupid questions.
6. Everybody here has made at least one call they wish they never made. We've all done something stupid. If you mess up, correct it (if you can), then forget it.
7. Ignore parents.
8. Have fun
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmielke
I work my first high school game tomorrow (4/30). My experience is limited to local rec league. I have been around the game for several years watching my daughter as well as coaching in and running the local rec league.

I have been lurking here, Eteamz, and NFHS forums for a bit, read the books, and gone to games other than my daughters just to watch the umpires. I saw some good ones and some that need to read the umpires manual again.

I have learned a bunch since I decided to umpire, amazing what I didn't know. Anyways, any advice to help get me started on the right foot?

Thanks
Tom Mielke
Ignore the fans
Tune them out,
Don't listen to them...
Their stupidity might
tempt you to respond.
Don't.

Not ever.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Tom,
Welcome aboard. This avocation can be wonderful, and I hope it is that and more for you.

(Much of post deleted by poster. Long damn list of by usual inane thoughts.)

Last edited by bkbjones; Mon Apr 30, 2007 at 02:53am.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
There is no clinic you must attend before working hs ball tmielke?? wow....our new people MUST attend a 5 session rules/mechanics clinic...plus a field evaluation...where is this?

however, good luck,and do us all proud!
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
There is no clinic you must attend before working hs ball tmielke?? wow....our new people MUST attend a 5 session rules/mechanics clinic...plus a field evaluation...where is this?

In Minnesota, we have no state requirement for a clinic/evaluation in order to work HS Softball. With that said, however, in order to get assigned games, you must, with a few exceptions, be part of an association, since the associations are how games get assigned. The associtation level is where the requirements may/may not get set.

At the varsity level, we will only schedule umpires that we know are registered and we KNOW they are capable of handling themselves. There are various levels of competency, and the assignor will try to match team ability with umpire ablity.

The underclass level is completely different. ALL of our non-varsity games are one umpire and there are many times a 'warm body' or 'no body' is assigned to the game. Not fair to the underclass teams, but umpire shortages force us to do things we don't want to do.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE

Michigan High School Athletic Assoc. I had to pass a test on their officiating guidebook, and pay my fee.

I know my abilities are closely aligned to my experience! But I am confident that I will do a competent job. I have spent a bunch of time preparing myself and am working with an experienced umpire. I wouldn't step on the field if I didn't feel prepared.

I will let you all know how things go. Thanks all for the advice.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Michigan High School Athletic Assoc. I had to pass a test on their officiating guidebook, and pay my fee.

I know my abilities are closely aligned to my experience! But I am confident that I will do a competent job. I have spent a bunch of time preparing myself and am working with an experienced umpire. I wouldn't step on the field if I didn't feel prepared.

I will let you all know how things go. Thanks all for the advice.
It's really great to see someone so conscientious about preparation and recognizing that it's needed and not arriving on the field thinking he is God.
Great approach, welcome to the forums and best wishes for today. Don't rush the calls and don't hesitate to let your partner help.
What part of MI is Charlevoix?

p.s. please blow a call big time, so you will be one of us
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
It's really great to see someone so conscientious about preparation and recognizing that it's needed and not arriving on the field thinking he is God.
Great approach, welcome to the forums and best wishes for today. Don't rush the calls and don't hesitate to let your partner help.
What part of MI is Charlevoix?

p.s. please blow a call big time, so you will be one of us
Look at the back of your left hand. Charlevoix is at the top of your ring finger.

I hope it will be awhile before I make the call everybody knows is wrong.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Look at the back of your left hand. Charlevoix is at the top of your ring finger.

I hope it will be awhile before I make the call everybody knows is wrong.
I started officiating in Michigan - in basketball you take the part I mail it in and your check and *PRESTO* - you are an official! You actually have to go through a rookie school in WV and attend a rules clinic every year.

Good luck tonight - hope it goes well. I used to be in the thumb myself!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Definitely not the way you want your first day to go!

A little background first. Game was a varsity game with one team, Team 1, a D4 top ten ranked team (probably overrated). Team 2 was most likely one of the weakest teams in the state.

The AD for Team 1 is a friend and I was working the game with his brother. Actually it would have been a good first game. The double header ended up being a double mercy, but I did not get to work it.

I arrived at the ball field about 35 minutes before the game, Team 1 warming up, my partner arrived a few minutes later. No team 2. About 20 minutes before game time the AD of calls Team 2. They are waiting at their school for team 1 to show up. This is definitely an error on Team 2's part.

The AD figures out that if he forces Team 2 to come to his field they will most likely forfeit, so he loads up the team to go to team 2's field which is about a 20 minute drive. He wants the girls to play. They have umps there as well

The AD apologizes a bunch and offers to pay us. No problems.

The last thing that happend was I was talking with the AD just before he left and I had one of the game balls in my left hand, I am right handed. I tossed it to him as he was standing next to his Van, It wasn't a very good toss, hit the lower drivers side of his windshield and spidered his windshield.

Oh well, I guess my first game will be a JV game next Tuesday.

Thanks for the help. I will let you know how that goes.