The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 08:13am

Lead Flexing in 2-Person

I have been doing a lot of 2 person this year, and my instructors/clinicians have advised to flex over to ball side when as Lead. I have been told to wait until ball goes into lower corner as a good indicator as when to flex over. I am having a bit of trouble with this, because when I flex, that is when the ball starts to rotate to top of the key. Do I immediately flex back? Should I be flexing sooner before ball goes to corner? I have been working with a lot of veteran officials who say there is no need to flex and I should stay opposite trail at all times and have the players boxed in. Advice??
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 08:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

My advice is to stop thinking of the lane line as a wall you either penetrate or don't and simply go where you need to go to best officiate the play.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 08:22am
This IS My Social Life

New to Our Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeremy View Post
I have been doing a lot of 2 person this year, and my instructors/clinicians have advised to flex over to ball side when as Lead. I have been told to wait until ball goes into lower corner as a good indicator as when to flex over. I am having a bit of trouble with this, because when I flex, that is when the ball starts to rotate to top of the key. Do I immediately flex back? Should I be flexing sooner before ball goes to corner? I have been working with a lot of veteran officials who say there is no need to flex and I should stay opposite trail at all times and have the players boxed in. Advice??
This, the "Two Man Ball-Side Mechanic", is in the book. Popular in some areas, unheard of in others. Handy to do especially if there's low post players opposite you want to cross over to get a good look at. Easier to "get the slot" from over there. Then flex back when that is no longer "strong side." Just be sure you don't cross over just to cover the matchup that your trail has anyway, a common error of some who do this mechanic. If there isn't low post play existent or imminent over there, don't go.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Think about WHY you are going over. Hint -- it isn't because the ball is in the opposite corner.

Then when you see the "why" begin to happen, you'll know it's time to go.

And, as you gain more experience, you'll see what the offense is trying to do -- and that will help you recognize the "why" earlier.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 12:50pm
C'mon man!!

Typically if they are playing a zone defense you won't need to go. The players are usually more balanced on the court. During man to man you definitely can have the players heavily balanced to the trail side, thus trail may have 3-4 match ups in their area. Move to improve angles. If they are just swinging the ball around the arc and back don't go. If they are swinging it and then often trying to get it into the post you may want to go. I personally love the mechanic and do it regularly in games. However, some games I never do it because the play never dictates the need and some times it is way more often.
If you are going to do it pregame it with your partner so everyone is on the same page.

The only thing that can really burn you is a long pass across court that goes out of bounds. If you are both on the same side, no one can adequately cover the far line.

I love the mechanic and have also had several vets tell me not to do it. But a few have. I think it is an improvement on the game so why not?