The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
And isn't there something about a defender leaning back during a block/charge play? Something like putting the offensive player in a dangerous position, so that he could land wrong and get hurt? I don't remember reading it ever, but it rings some kind of bell.
NO, there isn't. The offensive player puts himself in a dangerous position if they continue towards a player who is in their path.

If the defender had been in position in time (he wasn't before upward motion in this case), and the offense still hits him hard enough to be a charge even if the defender is fading back, that makes it even MORE of a charge. The lean back only lessened the magnitude of the impact.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 02:17pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
NO, there isn't. The offensive player puts himself in a dangerous position if they continue towards a player who is in their path.
Okay. For some reason it popped in my head that that may be a thing.

What about the part I edited into that post as you were responding, regarding verticality?
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Okay. For some reason it popped in my head that that may be a thing.

What about the part I edited into that post as you were responding, regarding verticality?
Verticality doesn't really apply (if the hands go forward and make contact, it's a illegal use of hands foul, not a block). The defender can lean backwards.

If the defender leans to the side (and there's contact), then it's a block -- so maybe you can consider that verticality -- I think of it as "outside the frame"
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Verticality doesn't really apply (if the hands go forward and make contact, it's a illegal use of hands foul, not a block). The defender can lean backwards.

If the defender leans to the side (and there's contact), then it's a block -- so maybe you can consider that verticality -- I think of it as "outside the frame"
Just to clarify...if they lean to the side such that it causes contact that wouldn't have otherwise occurred (or causes more contact) then it is a block...and that is the case on most leans. However, leaning by itself isn't necessarily a problem. It could be a lean such that the defender was going to get crushed either way and it could still be a charge.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 03:48pm

On the 3rd play....If Lead doesn't signal a block call I think C and Lead would come together and C would want a charge. He definitely had a better look.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeremy View Post
On the 3rd play....If Lead doesn't signal a block call I think C and Lead would come together and C would want a charge. He definitely had a better look.
Even if the Lead didn't give a preliminary, they would be no "coming together". There would be eye contact, followed by the Lead taking the call.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

#1: Maybe a foul, IMO. But Calipari yelled at his player for putting himself in that position. So I will defer to the judgment of the SEC official.

#2: Nothing. This is why patient whistles are so important. I'm going to tell you exactly what an observer would have said about this play if asked: "The ball went in the basket, and the game kept on moving". Whether some folks here like it or not, I've heard enough D1 supervisors, observers, and officials talk about plays like this. The defender flopped, he is not going to get a PC call on this play. But the defender also did nothing wrong to earn a foul call against him either. To me it was incidental contact. The loose ball immediately went into the hands of A1's teammate, who puts the ball in the bucket.

#3: That's an easy block call in today's NCAA-Men's. The Lead has to pick up B2's feet to ensure it's not an RA play. So when a defender moves his feet like he did right before contact, he is going to get a blocking foul against him.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 04:30pm.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 09:27pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeremy View Post
c and lead would come together
LOL!

Probably not.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 07:24am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

1. Textbook example of a foul causing a violation. This is a foul every time.
2. Nothing in college, I'm ok with a PC in a HS game is your area calls it tight.
3. Block because of upward motion rule. In HS, I'm ok with the PC.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 08:10am
Do not give a damn!!

1. Foul, but I can see why it might not have been called. It looks like the player was off balance and there is a case to be made it was more about the player being off balance than pushed. But I think it is a foul.

2. Looks like a flop.

3. Block. Player slid over after the player went airborne.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

#3 should have been a foul on blue before the B/C even happened. The contact on the dribbler as he tried to pass blue #1 is a point of emphasis this year.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 01:33pm
(Something hilarious)

1. Push
2. PC
3. Hand check/arm bar foul by B1 at the start of the move, then NCAA-M block