The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
4 technical fouls in a row... now what ?

A1 gets a technical for unsporting behavior.
Prior to reporting and administering that technical, A2 gets a technical for using profanity in dissent of A1 getting a technical foul.
And then... still prior to the reporting and administering of those technical(s)
A-coach goes berserk and he is given a technical.
And as if it can't get any worse, after being given the technical, the A-coach screams "You f--ing refs are a bunch of f--ing morons!" Yes, actually using the "F-word". And he is given another technical and ejected.

So... we now have 4 technical fouls assessed against Team A.
Does Team-B shoot 8 technical foul shots or do the technical foul shots not stack, meaning only one set of techncial foul shot are attempted?
Outside of the fighting/flagrant assessment of multiple technical fouls for multiple teammates participating or leaving the bench, I am having a hard time finding NFHS chapter and verse that covers this.

BTW, this scenario is fiction (to me).
All I am looking for is where the NFHS Rules Book outlines the procedure and related rule application for multiple technical fouls against the same team (again, non-fighting/flagrant).

Thanks,
Paul
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 06:49pm
We don't rent pigs

This is getting close to a forfeit situation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 06:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

You shoot 2 FTs for each T. And that means that anyone eligible to be in the game can shoot all those FTS as well. So technically 8 different players could shoot the FTs it the team decides that is what they want to do. Then give the ball to Team B at the division line, opposite the table.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 06:54pm
Never Stop Learning

10-3 Penalty and 10-4 Penalty These are all dead ball techs which are administered in the order that they occurred. Yes you would shoot 8 shots by any players or subs that they desire. They would then get the ball for a throw in at the division line. They don't get the ball 4 times though. LOL
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This is getting close to a forfeit situation.
Yup, one more coach getting a T in this spot and I'd be inclined to let the association clean this mess up.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Yup, one more coach getting a T in this spot and I'd be inclined to let the association clean this mess up.
Why? Does your area have a regulation that the game is a forfeit if an asst coach gets a T after the Head Coach has been disqualified? Is the team not complying with the previous technical foul penalties (such as the HC refusing to leave)?

Although there are several Ts in this situation, nothing strikes me as worthy of ending the contest. The out of control coach has been removed and there are two players remaing who have unsporting (non-contact) Ts. So this isn't a safety situation such as following a fight or crowd throwing objects onto the court.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Why? Does your area have a regulation that the game is a forfeit if an asst coach gets a T after the Head Coach has been disqualified? Is the team not complying with the previous technical foul penalties (such as the HC refusing to leave)?

Although there are several Ts in this situation, nothing strikes me as worthy of ending the contest. The out of control coach has been removed and there are two players remaing who have unsporting (non-contact) Ts. So this isn't a safety situation such as following a fight or crowd throwing objects onto the court.
I can only imagine that once you hit the 5 T's in a row on 4 different individuals with a HC getting tossed the circumstances in the gym (especially if this were the home team) would border on utter chaos. I also don't think that it would end at 5 if that's the case. By that point you don't have a contest but a joke.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:22am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I can only imagine that once you hit the 5 T's in a row on 4 different individuals with a HC getting tossed the circumstances in the gym (especially if this were the home team) would border on utter chaos. I also don't think that it would end at 5 if that's the case. By that point you don't have a contest but a joke.
Agreed

5-4-1: The referee may also forfeit a game if any player, team member, bench personnel or coach fails to comply with any technical foul penalty, or repeatedly commits technical foul infractions or other acts which make a travesty of the game.

Not saying when I definitely would, but like I said, it's getting close.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed

5-4-1: The referee may also forfeit a game if any player, team member, bench personnel or coach fails to comply with any technical foul penalty, or repeatedly commits technical foul infractions or other acts which make a travesty of the game.

So which player, team member, coach (bench personnel) is repeatedly committing technical foul infractions? We currently have two people with a single such infraction and someone who has left with two.

This isn't a case of a coach saying to give him as many Ts as we want, he doesn't care, and isn't leaving.

This rule is not written to collectively penalize technical fouls by a team, but rather by individuals. Don't make it into something which it isn't. We need to adhere to the text of the rule as written.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 10:24am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So which player, team member, coach (bench personnel) is repeatedly committing technical foul infractions? We currently have two people with a single such infraction and someone who has left with two.

This isn't a case of a coach saying to give him as many Ts as we want, he doesn't care, and isn't leaving.

This rule is not written to collectively penalize technical fouls by a team, but rather by individuals. Don't make it into something which it isn't. We need to adhere to the text of the rule as written.
I think you have to look at the situation and analyze the whole thing. If the OP happens in the second quarter, and the AC makes a snide remark a few minutes later, no. But if all of this happens with 20 seconds left in a game with a 25 point spread, and before the HC ever makes it out of the gym the AC stands up and screams "WHAT DID YOU EXPECT HIM TO DO? YOU A**HOLES HAVE BEEN SCREWING US AROUND ALL NIGHT!!" Yeah, I just might pull the plug on this one.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Honestly, unless the referees felt their own safety was in jeopardy (and I don't think we're there given there's nothing physically threatening in the OP), just adjudicate the game. I'd have a severe problem scheduling a guy who simply decided 5 T's was too much and left the building.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed

Not even remotely close. I would not fish this rule out of the book unless someone was ejected and simply wouldn't leave or stop the tirade, and you felt there was no way to continue the game.

I strongly don't believe this rule was intended to apply when the offenders were all different people.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

They get 8 shots and the ball at halfcourt opposite the table.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:14pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury View Post
the A-coach screams "You f--ing refs are a bunch of f--ing morons!" Yes, actually using the "F-word". And he is given another technical and ejected.
Not that it matters terribly here, but I would have gone straight to flagrant T.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Not that it matters terribly here, but I would have gone straight to flagrant T.
That f-bomb rampage earned him his second T, so it really doesn't make any difference...