The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Throw in violation

What is the actual rule describing how long a player inbounding a ball has to enter the court after releasing a pass? Our team was called for a "floating" violation Friday night late in a 2-point game because my inbounded hesitated after inbounding along the baseline, pausing, and sprinting to the opposite corner. On tape he took 1 second, possibly 2 max, to enter the court.

Does anyone know where this is in the HS rule book?

Thanks.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

You were fortunate. This isn't a violation. It is a technical foul.

Rule 10, Section 3
ART. 2

A player shall not:

Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

10.3.2 SITUATION A:

A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in. A1 completes the throw-in to A2 and then purposefully delays his/her return by taking four or five steps along the end line prior to coming inbounds behind a screen set by A3 and A4. A1 gets a return pass from A2 and takes an unchallenged try for goal.

RULING: A1 is charged with a technical foul for purposefully delaying his/her return to the court following the throw-in. A1's movement out of bounds along the end line was to take advantage of the screen and return to the court in a more advantageous position.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 08:53pm.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Got it and that makes sense. However the case study doesn't remotely describe what happened. It was 1 second after he released the ball and he came inbounds. But having the rule helps me.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:18pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You were fortunate. This isn't a violation. It is a technical foul.
Isn't running out of bounds also a violation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwhitt View Post
Got it and that makes sense. However the case study doesn't remotely describe what happened. It was 1 second after he released the ball and he came inbounds. But having the rule helps me.
Could you be more specific? From what you wrote it sounds like the player hesitated, and sprinted to the opposite corner while out of bounds. This would fit the case play posted above exactly.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Sure. He inbounded the ball, paused for a second, then with his 2nd step stepped inbounds and sprinted to the opposite corner. There was no defender he was avoiding, no screens set for him, etc. He was merely the safety.

Again, the official couldn't paraphrase the rule for me at the time, and said the violation was for floating out of bounds. It was all a cordial discussion but I was confused as if there was whether there was a specific number of seconds he has to enter, or if it's all judgment. So I know it's judgment now.

Of course I will be aware as every HS team in the state runs the inbounds play described in the case study

Thanks everyone.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Isn't running out of bounds also a violation?
Yes, yet that rule (9-3-3) is for the normal course of action when players are required to remain inbounds other than due to natural momentum, not for the specific case of a thrower who is legally out of bounds and must return. So one rule deals with leaving and the other deals with returning.