The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 09, 2000, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Ok this has nothing to do with reffing

Can someone suggest some excersises that would help me increase my vertical jump?
I'm about 5'5 and i can grab on to 9'0 taking one step. That's about it. If i take 5 steps or so, i can jump up to about 9'2.
How can i increase that?
Old Tue Oct 10, 2000, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
In the weight room, squats and toe raisers. On the court do plenty of layups trying for max vertical. Come track season, high jump. On the road do hills. The workout would be run the hill x times by running, x times by hill springs. An exagerated skip going for as much vertical as possible. Make sure you have a hill at least 150 meters long with a good steep section. I'd start off with 2x2 and move up to 8x8 over a 3 month period.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2000, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I would try to get in touch with Vince Carter. I've seen evidence recently that he's got some Hops.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2000, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Skipping..???
Old Tue Oct 10, 2000, 04:00pm
Esteemed Participant

In track practices in college we called it "stiders" - really exaggerated (height) skips and steps to increase our stide length...basically the same as jumping practices...the jumping program I did involved (surprise) jumping...jump 25 times in a row on left leg only (as high as possible), then 25 times on right leg only, then 25 times on both legs, and then repeat the whole process again - if you still can jump...two or three sets of that 3 days per week, along with the squats and calf exercises listed above, will have you jumping higher in a matter of weeks...
Old Tue Oct 10, 2000, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

How about those shoes with the large platform on the front soles but not on the heel. I forget the name but you can see them in magazines and athletic shoe supplier catalogs. I had a neighbor whose son & daughter used them. She is on a full ride a U of Maryland, the son is one of the top players in the US heading for a Div. 1 school also. The shoes didn't get them there of course, but may have helped!
Old Tue Oct 10, 2000, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

how about just calf raises. I have my athletes do 100-150 toe raises a night. just go to a edge of stairs and stand on the step with only your toes --raise up and down 100 times. this really works if given a couple months of dedication.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2000, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Skipping? Ok it is called Hill Springs. But Skipping is the easiest way to discribe it. It is what It always reminded me of what I was doing.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2000, 08:04am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Toe Raises

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky
how about just calf raises. I have my athletes do 100-150 toe raises a night. just go to a edge of stairs and stand on the step with only your toes --raise up and down 100 times. this really works if given a couple months of dedication.
Rocky,
I have had a Sports M.D. tell me that as long as you are in any competitive sport, at any age, 50 toe raises a day, is the easiest way to avoid ankle injury.
mick