The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Vertical jump (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/970-vertical-jump.html)

ilya Mon Oct 09, 2000 10:40pm

Ok this has nothing to do with reffing :)

Can someone suggest some excersises that would help me increase my vertical jump?
I'm about 5'5 and i can grab on to 9'0 taking one step. That's about it. If i take 5 steps or so, i can jump up to about 9'2.
How can i increase that?

Tim Roden Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:34am

In the weight room, squats and toe raisers. On the court do plenty of layups trying for max vertical. Come track season, high jump. On the road do hills. The workout would be run the hill x times by running, x times by hill springs. An exagerated skip going for as much vertical as possible. Make sure you have a hill at least 150 meters long with a good steep section. I'd start off with 2x2 and move up to 8x8 over a 3 month period.

Barry C. Morris Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:50am

I would try to get in touch with Vince Carter. I've seen evidence recently that he's got some Hops.

hoopsrefBC Tue Oct 10, 2000 03:35pm

Skipping..???

rockyroad Tue Oct 10, 2000 04:00pm

In track practices in college we called it "stiders" - really exaggerated (height) skips and steps to increase our stide length...basically the same as jumping practices...the jumping program I did involved (surprise) jumping...jump 25 times in a row on left leg only (as high as possible), then 25 times on right leg only, then 25 times on both legs, and then repeat the whole process again - if you still can jump...two or three sets of that 3 days per week, along with the squats and calf exercises listed above, will have you jumping higher in a matter of weeks...

Art N Tue Oct 10, 2000 09:27pm

How about those shoes with the large platform on the front soles but not on the heel. I forget the name but you can see them in magazines and athletic shoe supplier catalogs. I had a neighbor whose son & daughter used them. She is on a full ride a U of Maryland, the son is one of the top players in the US heading for a Div. 1 school also. The shoes didn't get them there of course, but may have helped!

rocky Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:16pm

how about just calf raises. I have my athletes do 100-150 toe raises a night. just go to a edge of stairs and stand on the step with only your toes --raise up and down 100 times. this really works if given a couple months of dedication.

Tim Roden Wed Oct 11, 2000 12:16am

Skipping? Ok it is called Hill Springs. But Skipping is the easiest way to discribe it. It is what It always reminded me of what I was doing.

mick Wed Oct 11, 2000 08:04am

Toe Raises

Quote:

Originally posted by rocky
how about just calf raises. I have my athletes do 100-150 toe raises a night. just go to a edge of stairs and stand on the step with only your toes --raise up and down 100 times. this really works if given a couple months of dedication.
Rocky,
I have had a Sports M.D. tell me that as long as you are in any competitive sport, at any age, 50 toe raises a day, is the easiest way to avoid ankle injury.
mick