The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Block/PC/No Call? (video)

Thoughts on this one...

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 04:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Block I can't pass on b/c it led to a travel.

Were you spying on this crew? LOL

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 04:40pm.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I have to go block, as the offense controls the ball the defender continues coming forward into the offensive player, and creates obvious contact which seems more than can be considered incidential. The way she's recieving the pass does make it somewhat of a tricky call, and I'm not sure if I could fault holding the whistle there if the time and score deemed it appropriate. Although, I suppose that statement could be made about a large percentage of situations.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

block -- but it's in the spot on the floor that's hard to get -- it's a LD call for all the officials
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Were you spying on this crew? LOL
Nah, just a nerd . Internet broadcasts are a wonderful thing. I record them and watch them so I can see plays. Any little bit – positive or negative – helps. This crew had some interesting situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
it's in the spot on the floor that's hard to get -- it's a LD call for all the officials
That was my thought as well. By the book it’s the C’s call but she was going to have a tough time on this one, though being a little further on the court could've helped. Maybe the L gets this since he doesn’t have a competitive matchup or is it worse trying to make the call through the defender’s back?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 04:57pm.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 04:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not calling a block. For one it is questionable that this is even a ball handler as they really do not have the ball. The player in purple got their first and got run over. I would no call this before I would call a block.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

I got no call as well.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 05:34pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not calling a block. For one it is questionable that this is even a ball handler as they really do not have the ball. The player in purple got their first and got run over. I would no call this before I would call a block.
The camera pans over late, but it looks like the defender is still moving forward at the point of contact.

And does the player having the ball matter? What if the defender did this same play to a player off-ball?
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 05:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
The camera pans over late, but it looks like the defender is still moving forward at the point of contact.

And does the player having the ball matter? What if the defender did this same play to a player off-ball?
Both feet are planted on the floor before contact by the purple player makes contact with them. And the torso is not leaning towards the "ball handler" in any way. If anything the purple player is waiting for the contact and leaning away.

And having the ball would matter because then what would apply is more screening rules as time and distance could play apart of this call. But with that being said, I am not calling anything on the purple player in this case if I was able to see all the play as I did with the video. That might be hard if not 3 person, but I do not see this any other way. And every player is allowed to have their spot on the floor if they get their first. Purple got there first and did so legally. Not an issue of LGP if the player does not have the ball. But that could be splitting hairs too.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 05:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Both feet are planted on the floor before contact by the purple player makes contact with them. And the torso is not leaning towards the "ball handler" in any way. If anything the purple player is waiting for the contact and leaning away.

And having the ball would matter because then what would apply is more screening rules as time and distance could play apart of this call. But with that being said, I am not calling anything on the purple player in this case if I was able to see all the play as I did with the video. That might be hard if not 3 person, but I do not see this any other way. And every player is allowed to have their spot on the floor if they get their first. Purple got there first and did so legally. Not an issue of LGP if the player does not have the ball. But that could be splitting hairs too.

Peace
Agreed. If anything, I think this is a PC, but I know it's close. If I saw the video again, I might see something different and go with a no-call or block.

Had the purple player just been standing there without an apparent attempt to get to the ball, it would have been an easy charge. Since she was starting off going for the ball, I think it changes the way its viewed. The offensive player got the ball first, but she then proceeded to run over the defender who had given up.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Block.

If you think the player didn't get the ball yet, that means that the defender is guarding a moving player without the ball. As such, the defender must obtain LGP with time and distance for the opponent to stop or change direction....1-2 steps. Even if she got there just before contact, that, by rule, is too late.

Even if she had the ball, I still think it is a block. I don't think she stopped moving forward at all before contact.

On top of all of that, the contact was mostly with the defender's extended knee and arm.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 06:20pm.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 07:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

the arm and knee are why I have a block also.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Block.

If you think the player didn't get the ball yet, that means that the defender is guarding a moving player without the ball. As such, the defender must obtain LGP with time and distance for the opponent to stop or change direction....1-2 steps. Even if she got there just before contact, that, by rule, is too late.

Even if she had the ball, I still think it is a block. I don't think she stopped moving forward at all before contact.

On top of all of that, the contact was mostly with the defender's extended knee and arm.
And, the were not "in eqaully advantageous positions going after a loose ball" (or whatever the specific words are).
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 12:10am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm 70-30-0 going with a no call here.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 05:02am
Official Forum Member

Either a no call or a block. I have to agree with Camron Rust about time and distance. The question is, did the offensive player truly have possession of the ball at the time of contact. If you say yes, then it gets more tricky, if you say no, then I think this is an easy block call.