The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 06:46pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I had always been told that officials were the only ones in the gym that didn't care about the outcome
I never remember the final score after a game. I may be able to tell you who won or lost, especially if it was blow-out, but I honestly couldn't care less.
Quote:
I have found that in these situations you can often get a coach to settle down if you just acknowledge them and maybe answer a question.
I feel the same way. As long as you give the coach the time to askyou a question (no matter how dumb it is), and you give a response (again... no matter how dumb it is), then it's all good. Just acknowledge the coach's concerns.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
A lot of what we do is so personal based on our physical features, the coaches we are dealing with, the place we are officiating and how what we do is perceived based on some of those things mentioned.

Peace
Rut,

What in the world does this mean?
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 07:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Rut,

What in the world does this mean?
It means if you are 6'5 and 230, people will react to you differently than if you are 5'6, 150. And you can add race, gender, experience, playoff experience or history with that coach (sometimes players) or any number of factors to how coaches respond to your words or actions in these situations.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 08:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Last night I had to give one to a smartass who was up 28 with 4 minutes left. Then he made a smart ass comment about where officials are supposed to be after a foul call that almost got him tossed.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 08:40pm.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 08:59pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Last night I had to give one to a smartass who was up 28 with 4 minutes left. Then he made a smart ass comment about where officials are supposed to be after a foul call that almost got him tossed.
May I ask what he said? And why didn't you toss him?
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Funny I had to warn a coach before the actual FT administration, by going into the lane and telling both my partners, "I am done with him" to each partner, yesterday afternoon. This all happened in the first half of the game.

Well the second half was about to start and the coach apologized to me (well kind of) by saying, "Thank you for calming me down." Then he said, "I would not have cursed at you....." and said that is mother was in the stands and she would be very upset by his behavior. Well he was an angel the rest of the game and they actually loss. He never got out of control over any call we made. Who knew?

Peace
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

He said partner and I didn't even know how to switch properly on fouls. I chose to tell why we did do it properly, and how he needs to read my manual and learn something.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
He said partner and I didn't even know how to switch properly on fouls. I chose to tell why we did do it properly, and how he needs to read my manual and learn something.
Was this a HS or college game? Would you do it differently if you had a chance?
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 11:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Was this a HS or college game? Would you do it differently if you had a chance?
HS, lower level private school BV. Only thing I would have changed is less talk on my part before I issued the T.

This wouldn't have happened in a college game b/c coaches are a lot more professional and knowledgeable than this coach was.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It means if you are 6'5 and 230, people will react to you differently than if you are 5'6, 150.
I work with a guy that is a replica of the dude from Green Mile...no not Tom Hanks! I have yet to see anyone even give him a roll of the eye in 3 games we have worked together!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 09:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
I work with a guy that is a replica of the dude from Green Mile...no not Tom Hanks! I have yet to see anyone even give him a roll of the eye in 3 games we have worked together!
I'm 6'5/240lbs. That in itself doesn't stop the comments. But I don't ever have coaches attempt to intimidate me. Their anger is always from a distance. (sort of like how my 2 sons are real brave on the phone, but not quite so in person )
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 09:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm 6'5/240lbs. That in itself doesn't stop the comments. But I don't ever have coaches attempt to intimidate me. Their anger is always from a distance. (sort of like how my 2 sons are real brave on the phone, but not quite so in person )
That is the key, they do not try to intimdate you. When coaches feel they can intemindate you, they try more stuff. I am certainly not very tall, but I am 6'0" and I have to do so with other means to let it be known, "I am not the one." When they realize that fact, most step the heck back.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 10:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm 5'9". They can try intimidating me, but it's going to work 0% of the time.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 12:34pm
MABO Member

Quote:
This and how you display your confidence goes a long way. I am also 6'5 and 225, and really have only been challenged maybe once or twice in 33 years.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 02:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
This and how you display your confidence goes a long way. I am also 6'5 and 225, and really have only been challenged maybe once or twice in 33 years.
Maybe if started eating smoke, I could lose that extra 15lbs.