The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

In terms of the perception bias based on the factors people are discussing, Its obviously a factor. It does work both ways though. If the coach is a 150 lbs guy/gal who stamps and mutters and eyerolls that often gets a very different response (IME) the the 275 coach with the lungs to match who starts barking and/complaining. The volume and intimidation factor go way up and officials have to be aware of the behaviour vs the source too.

In terms of the OP, we don't correct coaching behaviour anymore then we correct footwork, shot form, or player behaviour. We call the the rules of the game in the spirit of the game as one of the many ambassadors of the game involved.

If the coach in you or your crews opinion is violating the rules/spirit of the rules of the game, then as per your job description you should enforce the rules and any appropriate consequences. I'm not saying coaches can't have a say, and we can't manage behaviour a number of ways and that in certain leagues/areas relationships with coaches aren't important. Though nothing I've ever seen in work or sport goes more toward professionalism then simply following/ enforcing the basic norms and expectations.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 11:37pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm 5'9". They can try intimidating me, but it's going to work 0% of the time.
Ditto and I am only 5'8"
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I am only 5'8" myself but we will just say I know where the weight room is. Plus I have served 3 tours "over there" so it has been a minute before anyone was able to intimidate me

The other night I was "C" right in front of the bench and this big kid goes up for a rebound and gets it knocked out of his hand...Coach yells at him "that is weak!" then leans into me and says "can you show take him to the weight room with you next time you go?" I chuckled...
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
So, the blue part describes a..."coach [who] loses his marbles and gets a T for being very animated and some choice language."

Yet you and your partner consider the red part neither "very animated" or an example of a "coach [who] loses his marbles" and spews "more colorful language" at you and your P (the halftime hallway incident) worthy of a T?

Your course of action to get this guy under control is to "[tell] the AD that he needs to get (his coach's) emotions in check"?

Your post is titled "How to correct poor coaching behavior?" You describe yourself as a "sportsmanship stickler."

Become a sportsmanship enforcer and you will quickly discover how to "correct poor coaching behavior."
+1, I was thinking the same thing