The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Iowa State/Baylor - Video request x2 (Clips Added) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96957-iowa-state-baylor-video-request-x2-clips-added.html)

zm1283 Tue Jan 07, 2014 09:14pm

Iowa State/Baylor - Video request x2 (Clips Added)

1. About the 57 second mark in the first half. Called a block against ISU and the basket counted.

2. 15:27 mark in second half. Dunk by ISU player with a technical to follow.

Thanks.

stiffler3492 Tue Jan 07, 2014 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 917244)
1. About the 57 second mark in the first half. Called a block against ISU and the basket counted.

2. 15:27 mark in second half. Dunk by ISU player with a technical to follow.

Thanks.

About #2...I've seen much more blatant let go.

AremRed Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:31am

You can browse the video here.

zm1283 Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 917248)
About #2...I've seen much more blatant let go.

Kind of what I was thinking.

On the block/charge: This play is why I hate the new rule. The officials default to a block on anything close and it really punishes the defense. I think this play was a charge even under the new rules.

Raymond Wed Jan 08, 2014 01:19am

I have a PC on the first play, defender was there before A1 even got the ball.

And I'm passing on the hanging on the rim T.

IMHO

Lcubed48 Wed Jan 08, 2014 05:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 917283)
I have a PC on the first play, defender was there before A1 even got the ball.

And I'm passing on the hanging on the rim T.

IMHO

I agree with BNR on both plays.

Also, I thought that the 2 remaining officials did a commendable job in the portions that I watched. I especially liked how the L moved to get an angle on post play with the ball, and then would rotate back. I did that a couple of times last night in myself.

APG Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:13am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7syilA6L2nM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tP6DctVMyNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Thu Jan 09, 2014 04:05am

#1 close but by the NCAA's new standards, he was certainly not there in time. He was still shifting to his left as the shooter was leaving the court. He only stopped moving left just after the shooter jump. It wasn't by much but it was there. This would even be a block in HS.

#2. I'm passing on that one.

Nevadaref Thu Jan 09, 2014 04:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 917415)
#1 close but by the NCAA's new standards, he was certainly not there in time. He was still shifting to his left as the shooter was leaving the court. He only stopped moving left just after the shooter jump. It wasn't by much but it was there. This would even be a block in HS.

#2. I'm passing on that one.

Another example of how good officials can see the same action and disagree on the proper decisions. I have great respect for Camron, but my thoughts are as follows:

1. NFHS that's a PC. He has obtained ILGP prior to both feet of the offensive player leaving the court. NCAA it's super close. Given the new standard and how the instruction has been to call more blocking fouls, I would lean that way. I also believe that the contact being only on the left side of the defender's torso probably unduly influences the decision as it gives the impression that the defender was late in getting to his required spot.

2. The player clearly decided to hang around an extra second with no one under him. The official enforced the rule exactly as written. Unfortunately, this is not the norm and people aren't used to seeing this call made except in extreme situations. I put the T in the "correct call" column.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 09, 2014 05:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 917419)
Another example of how good officials can see the same action and disagree on the proper decisions. I have great respect for Camron, but my thoughts are as follows:

1. NFHS that's a PC. He has obtained ILGP prior to both feet of the offensive player leaving the court. NCAA it's super close. Given the new standard and how the instruction has been to call more blocking fouls, I would lean that way. I also believe that the contact being only on the left side of the defender's torso probably unduly influences the decision as it gives the impression that the defender was late in getting to his required spot.

2. The player clearly decided to hang around an extra second with no one under him. The official enforced the rule exactly as written. Unfortunately, this is not the norm and people aren't used to seeing this call made except in extreme situations. I put the T in the "correct call" column.

#1. I felt he had LGP but the shooter was going to slip to the side and the defender slid over just a little more after the shooter was up....watch the defender's right foot slide in even after the shooter is airborne bringing the torso a bit more to the left into the shooter and causing more contact than their otherwise would have been.

#2. My first inclination on the hang was actually a T. However, after looking at it more closely, I decided there was enough uncertainty about it to warrant a T...not just the players underhim but the appearance of him just being wildly off balance more than showboating.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 09, 2014 09:16am

I agree with Camron on both.

On the hang, the official might have anticipated it a bit -- when the legs went "up" the second time, it looked like the player was going to chin himself -- but I think he was still regaining his balance.

Maybe the player did something before to lose the benefit of the doubt.

jeremy341a Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:33am

Although it is never called like this but why are Dunkers consistently allowed to grasp the rim at all. In a lot of cases if the never wrap their hands around the rim and merely stuff the ball through there is no one around them. It is the momentary grasp which is always permitted which then allows the defense to get close enough that the play then needs to hang from the rim. In the above example there is no safety reason as to why he needs to grasp the rim at all and especially not bring his knees up while doing it.

billyu2 Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 917452)
Although it is never called like this but why are Dunkers consistently allowed to grasp the rim at all. In a lot of cases if the never wrap their hands around the rim and merely stuff the ball through there is no one around them. It is the momentary grasp which is always permitted which then allows the defense to get close enough that the play then needs to hang from the rim. In the above example there is no safety reason as to why he needs to grasp the rim at all and especially not bring his knees up while doing it.

Good point. If he would have just thrown it down and been done with it he could have made a fairly normal, balanced landing. Instead, he chose to grasp the rim (with no defender around) putting himself in a difficult position. No doubt this is a borderline call with veteran officials here having different opinions as Nevada indicated. All I know is we had two similar plays as this one only minutes apart by the same team last week. We nailed both of them. If we had passed on the first it would have made it a little harder if we had to get the second especially if it were on the opposing team. We left the gym with no regrets but I know for sure, if we passed on the first and had to get the second, we would have felt we should have got the first one as well.

Raymond Thu Jan 09, 2014 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 917452)

When you dunk with 2 hands on a 1 foot, running take-off, you tend to lose your balance. You're flying through the air and having both hands above your head takes your center of balance.

If you notice, almost all "hanging on the rim" discussions involve a 2-handed dunk, jumping off one foot.

jeremy341a Thu Jan 09, 2014 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 917496)
When you dunk with 2 hands on a 1 foot, running take-off, you tend to lose your balance. You're flying through the air and having both hands above your head takes your center of balance.

If you notice, almost all "hanging on the rim" discussions involve a 2-handed dunk, jumping off one foot.

Only bc they choose to power it home. I have seen many drop it through without grabbing the rim. I'm not even saying that there is anything wrong with the way it is being called key that players could go without grasping the rim in most instances.