The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Team Leaves Court

Situation: 1.5 seconds left in first half. Visitor catches inbounds pass and is fouled in the act of shooting. Buzzer sounds ending the half. As the free throws are attempted with the lanes cleared the home team goes to their locker room. The visiting coach wants a T for the home team leaving the court. I call nothing because I am not sure any rule has been violated. Has there been?
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Has there been?
Yes. It's a rule change from a couple of years ago.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Casebook play:

10.5.5 SITUATION A:

Airborne shooter A1 is fouled by B1 after the ball is released on the try. Playing time for the second quarter expires while the unsuccessful try is in flight. Since no players are required to line up for the free throws, Team B's head coach takes the team to the locker room to begin the intermission.

RULING: Team B's head coach is assessed a direct technical foul for permitting team members to leave the bench/court for an unauthorized reason. Even though no time remains on the game clock, the quarter doesn't end until A1's free throws are completed; therefore, the technical foul is part of the second quarter. A1 will attempt the two shooting-foul free throws followed by any Team A member attempting the two free throws for the technical foul. The Team B head coach has lost coaching-box privileges for the remainder of the game. The third quarter will begin with the alternating-possession procedure. (5-6-2 Exception 3)
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Casebook play:

10.5.5 SITUATION A:

Airborne shooter A1 is fouled by B1 after the ball is released on the try. Playing time for the second quarter expires while the unsuccessful try is in flight. Since no players are required to line up for the free throws, Team B's head coach takes the team to the locker room to begin the intermission.

RULING: Team B's head coach is assessed a direct technical foul for permitting team members to leave the bench/court for an unauthorized reason. Even though no time remains on the game clock, the quarter doesn't end until A1's free throws are completed; therefore, the technical foul is part of the second quarter. A1 will attempt the two shooting-foul free throws followed by any Team A member attempting the two free throws for the technical foul. The Team B head coach has lost coaching-box privileges for the remainder of the game. The third quarter will begin with the alternating-possession procedure. (5-6-2 Exception 3)
I hope before this is done an attempt is made to bring the team back to their bench, or at the least get the coach's attention and request him and his team to stay put.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I hope before this is done an attempt is made to bring the team back to their bench
Why?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Why?
Because it's 1) good game management and/or 2) a reasonable thing to do.

What's so tough about "tweet, tweet. blue stay on your bench until we are done?"

We say plenty of times here that coaches don't know the rules and yet at the same time don't want to work with them at times. Can't have it both ways. But if you want to let it go and hit the T right away, you are supported by the rule. I personally wouldn't.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What's so tough about "tweet, tweet. blue stay on your bench until we are done?"

We say plenty of times here that coaches don't know the rules and yet at the same time don't want to work with them at times. Can't have it both ways. But if you want to let it go and hit the T right away, you are supported by the rule. I personally wouldn't.
Agreed. Had this happen at a holiday tournament. we stopped the team when they tried to leave and then shot the FTs.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 04:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'll attempt to get them back, but once they've left the confines, you're stuck calling the T.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I didn't question (or disagree with) the preventative 2nd half of your statement - I'm in agreement with you on that part.

I fully disagree with just the first half - the part I quoted. If you have to bring them back to the bench, they've already violated.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't question (or disagree with) the preventative 2nd half of your statement - I'm in agreement with you on that part.

I fully disagree with just the first half - the part I quoted. If you have to bring them back to the bench, they've already violated.
They have left their bench and are walking to the locker room, within the playing confines still. You would T here?
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Depends on by how much (and I guess how many) they've left.

In our play, maybe two coaches and two team members had reached the scorer's table. The rest were probably still in the bench area.

I agree that if you have to chase them down a hallway, it's too late.

And, preentive officiating can be to look for them to (attempt to) leave and then stop it -- both of my patners were all over this.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 07:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, preentive officiating can be to look for them to (attempt to) leave and then stop it -- both of my patners were all over this.
Agreed. Knowing the situation, and that some coaches will want to head to the locker room at this point, helps. Head it off.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They have left their bench and are walking to the locker room, within the playing confines still. You would T here?
Yes. A quarter is still in progress and you have a team outside the bench area. Simply apply the rule.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yes. A quarter is still in progress and you have a team outside the bench area. Simply apply the rule.
I would first try to get them back. If they don't want to return then yes. But I'm not going to chase them down the hallways pleading. I also don't see this happening in a real game. The few times this has happened the coach stays because they want to know before they go to the locker room what happened.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would first try to get them back. If they don't want to return then yes. But I'm not going to chase them down the hallways pleading. I also don't see this happening in a real game. The few times this has happened the coach stays because they want to know before they go to the locker room what happened.
Oh, does the rule say that it's okay for the team to depart if the coach stays?