The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 07:09am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
No, the opening post says the player starts on both knees and shifts so that only one knee stays down while the other leg is on the foot.

To me, this is not an attempt to get up until the second knee comes up. I'm not adamant either way, but I just don't see how this is an attempt to get up.
So do you think this is a travel adam or not?
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 07:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Criminal Intent ...

Quote:
The player starts on both knees and shifts so that only one knee stays down while the other leg is on the foot.
If this player does anything other than start a dribble, pass, shoot, or request a timeout, anything other than just staying there, then I'm probably calling a travel. Once that knee comes off the floor, even if the player's intent is just to get a little more comfortable, not an attempt to get up, then I'm probably calling a travel. If it looks like an attempt to get up, then, in my mind, it's an attempt to get up. I'm not a mind reader.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 08:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So do you think this is a travel adam or not?
The way I see the play in my head from the description, no I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If this player does anything other than start a dribble, pass, shoot, or request a timeout, anything other than just staying there, then I'm probably calling a travel. Once that knee comes off the floor, even if the player's intent is just to get a little more comfortable, not an attempt to get up, then I'm probably calling a travel. If it looks like an attempt to get up, then, in my mind, it's an attempt to get up. I'm not a mind reader.
The rule doesn't list what's allowed. It lists what's prohibited, and we get the "only allowed to" based off of that list. The alleged illegal act here is an attempt to get up, but I don't see the action (shifting from two knees to one knee) as an attempt to get up (I interpret "get up" as equivalent to "stand").
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 01:20pm
We don't rent pigs

If you're on two knees, putting one foot on the floor is a common first step in rising to a standing position. Based on this description, I have a travel.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 01:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If you're on two knees, putting one foot on the floor is a common first step in rising to a standing position. Based on this description, I have a travel.
Sure, it's a necessary step in rising, but it's not sufficient. It's also a common first step in maintaining one's balance without getting up, or a first step in getting a good pass thrown.

I'm comfortable waiting until they actually try to stand before calling the travel.
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sure, it's a necessary step in rising, but it's not sufficient. It's also a common first step in maintaining one's balance without getting up, or a first step in getting a good pass thrown.

I'm comfortable waiting until they actually try to stand before calling the travel.
I think it is sufficient. They gain a more advantageous position as a result and I don't believe that is intended to be legal any more than rolling over. Plus, the fact that is has been specified that a player who is lying on their back is allowed to sit up but they list no other actions that are permitted by a player on the floor seems to imply that any other movement that raises the player's position would be illegal.
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 03:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Camron, thanks. I recognize I'm in the minority here. As they say, "when it's you against the world..."
Old Sat Dec 28, 2013, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

How would one stand?

Please explain how one would stand from a position with two knees on the ground.

Probably by taking one leg, and moving to a position where one foot is on the floor, while the other leg is still in a position with a knee on the ground.

Try it, get down with two knees on the ground and try to stand.

This was an attempt to get up, however subtle, it was an attempt to get up.
You had a travel.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2013, 09:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdesigner View Post
Please explain how one would stand from a position with two knees on the ground.

Probably by taking one leg, and moving to a position where one foot is on the floor, while the other leg is still in a position with a knee on the ground.

Try it, get down with two knees on the ground and try to stand.

This was an attempt to get up, however subtle, it was an attempt to get up.
You had a travel.
There are other things that can be done with the new position, IOW, it's not solely a transition position from two knees to standing. As I stated before, it's necessary but not sufficient. Everyone acts as if the only possible thing he could be doing by shifting from two knees to one is attempting to stand. I don't get that.

Sit on two knees. Then shift to put one foot on the floor. Do you not have better balance even if you don't stand?
Old Sat Dec 28, 2013, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Although our ideas vary and Im guilty of reading to much into things. You only have a second to process and call this play.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2013, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

4.44.5 SITUATION D:

A1 secures possession of the ball with one knee in contact with the floor. May A1 assume a standing position without committing a traveling *violation?

RULING: It depends on what A1 does. If A1 attempts to stand up while holding the ball, a traveling violation occurs. However, if A1 starts a dribble and then rises, no violation has occurred. Also, A1 could pass, try for goal or call a time-out from that position.

This subject is an example of the FED setting a trap, and those who read only part of it, equating two different actions, in the verbiage they use:
Note that the SITUATION refers to a player with one knee on the floor, and uses the phrase "assume a standing position."
Then, in the RULING, they change the phrasiology from "assume a standing position" to "attempts to stand."
Not only is the first phrase - "assume a standing position" - commonly understood to mean "A position in which a person is erect, on both feet" - (Reference - Webster On-line Dictionary) - but the SITUATION stated dictates that from one knee, to "attempt to stand" inherently refers to standing on both feet.
Common understanding is that whether a person is on two knees or one, they are kneeling, not standing -(Reference - Webster On-line Dictionary). Thus, to go from a kneeling position on two knees, to a kneeling position on one knee, one is still kneeling, and not standing, and has not made an "attempt to stand."

Last edited by Rob1968; Sat Dec 28, 2013 at 11:27am.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2013, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
4.44.5 SITUATION D:

A1 secures possession of the ball with one knee in contact with the floor. May A1 assume a standing position without committing a traveling *violation?

RULING: It depends on what A1 does. If A1 attempts to stand up while holding the ball, a traveling violation occurs. However, if A1 starts a dribble and then rises, no violation has occurred. Also, A1 could pass, try for goal or call a time-out from that position.

This subject is an example of the FED setting a trap, and those who read only part of it, equating two different actions, in the verbiage they use:
Note that the SITUATION refers to a player with one knee on the floor, and uses the phrase "assume a standing position."
Then, in the RULING, they change the phrasiology from "assume a standing position" to "attempts to stand."
Not only is the first phrase - "assume a standing position" - commonly understood to mean "A position in which a person is erect, on both feet" - (Reference - Webster On-line Dictionary) - but the SITUATION stated dictates that from one knee, to "attempt to stand" inherently refers to standing on both feet.
Common understanding is that whether a person is on two knees or one, they are kneeling, not standing -(Reference - Webster On-line Dictionary). Thus, to go from a kneeling position on two knees, to a kneeling position on one knee, one is still kneeling, and not standing, and has not made an "attempt to stand."
All nice, but irrelevant. An attempt doesn't have to be successful to be considered an attempt so the fact they never make it to two feet doesn't matter.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2013, 12:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
All nice, but irrelevant. An attempt doesn't have to be successful to be considered an attempt so the fact they never make it to two feet doesn't matter.
No, it doesn't have to be successful, but it does have to be an actual attempt to stand rather than an attempt to shift from two knees to one. I don't see the two as equal.

Note: I have yet to see a player go from two knees to one. I think the difference in opinions here would result in exactly one or two different calls over the career of the average official.