The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 04:15pm
C'mon man!!

Travel???

I think this is a travel but am not sure. Player is on both knees with the ball. She lifts one knee and puts that foot on the floor so she now has one knee and toe of shoe down and the other foot down. She then passes the ball. Is this a travel? Can you consider it a pivot knee since both were down? Thanks
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 04:16pm
NFHS Official

I agree, I believe it is a travel.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

It's an attempt to stand. If it's all one motion, give her the benefit of the doubt, but if it's two separate motions, then penalise it.

No such think as "a pivot knee" (or "pivot cheek" <-- in an attempt to stop another post)
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 05:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You have to judge if she's attempting to stand. I don't think it reads that way, so I'm probably letting it go.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 05:49pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You have to judge if she's attempting to stand. I don't think it reads that way, so I'm probably letting it go.
She did not try to stand beyond described she was in the second position for at least a second before she passed the ball. Had she lifted her other knee, easy travel. Never had it happen before so I let it go.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 05:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
She did not try to stand beyond described she was in the second position for at least a second before she passed the ball.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like I would have called that a travel.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2013, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

I have a travel. Attempt to get up.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2013, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I have a travel. Attempt to get up.
I'm inclined to agree. In addition to the attempt to get up you could say the player gained an advantage by going to one knee then passing the ball since (s)he would have more balance/leverage.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Dec 22, 2013, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
She did not try to stand beyond described she was in the second position for at least a second before she passed the ball. Had she lifted her other knee, easy travel. Never had it happen before so I let it go.
Then based on my previous comment, I have a travel.
Old Tue Dec 24, 2013, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I am interested in the turn out of this play. How did she get on the floor? was she holding the ball, dribbling when she went down or did she catch the ball on her knees? I would have called travel as soon as her knees hit the floor if she went down holding the ball. If she went down dribbling then she can continue to dribble but if she stops without getting up then she either has to shoot or pass, when her foot hits the floor she attempts to get up and I would call that a travel, That's just my opinion and I am only a second year ref.If she caught it while on her knees she can pass, shoot or call a time out or start a dribble and get up. that's my interpretation of the rules.
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, I thought she was on her knees
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Rule: 4-44-5

ART. 5

Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows:

A player holding the ball:

a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.

b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

4.44.5 SITUATION C:

A1 is dribbling when he/she: (a) drops to a position with a knee on the floor and then ends the dribble; or (b) drops one knee to the floor and then stands again while continuing the dribble.

RULING: The action in both (a) and (b) is legal. However, if A1 touches a knee to the floor while holding the ball, it would be traveling as A1 has touched the floor with something other than a hand or foot.

4.44.5 SITUATION D:

A1 secures possession of the ball with one knee in contact with the floor. May A1 assume a standing position without committing a traveling *violation?

RULING: It depends on what A1 does. If A1 attempts to stand up while holding the ball, a traveling violation occurs. However, if A1 starts a dribble and then rises, no violation has occurred. Also, A1 could pass, try for goal or call a time-out from that position.

Sounds like a travel to me..
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Rule: 4-44-5

ART. 5

Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows:

A player holding the ball:

a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.

b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

4.44.5 SITUATION C:

A1 is dribbling when he/she: (a) drops to a position with a knee on the floor and then ends the dribble; or (b) drops one knee to the floor and then stands again while continuing the dribble.

RULING: The action in both (a) and (b) is legal. However, if A1 touches a knee to the floor while holding the ball, it would be traveling as A1 has touched the floor with something other than a hand or foot.

4.44.5 SITUATION D:

A1 secures possession of the ball with one knee in contact with the floor. May A1 assume a standing position without committing a traveling *violation?

RULING: It depends on what A1 does. If A1 attempts to stand up while holding the ball, a traveling violation occurs. However, if A1 starts a dribble and then rises, no violation has occurred. Also, A1 could pass, try for goal or call a time-out from that position.

Sounds like a travel to me..
The Case play cited, deals with one knee touching the floor. Obviously, to move that leg to a position with the foot touching and not the knee, is an attempt to stand up.
This does not address a player on the floor, on both knees, and changing one leg to a foot contact rather than knee contact with the floor. Some see that movement/change of position as an attempt to stand, and others do not see it as such.
I don't understand that particular Case play as relevant to the second scenario.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 08:12pm
NFHS Official

The opening post says on both knees with the ball, and attempts to stand . IMO this is a travel.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 08:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The opening post says on both knees with the ball, and attempts to stand . IMO this is a travel.
No, the opening post says the player starts on both knees and shifts so that only one knee stays down while the other leg is on the foot.

To me, this is not an attempt to get up until the second knee comes up. I'm not adamant either way, but I just don't see how this is an attempt to get up.