The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:28pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Whistle after timeout even if returning with freet hrow?

I know the administering official is supposed to whistle to resume play after a timeout. Do we still do that if we are returning with a free throw? I did the other night but gave a much quieter and quicker tweet.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:30pm
beware big brother

I have never done this, nor have I ever worked with anyone who did this.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:36pm
Stubborn Member

I don't know if the book says so or not, but I do.

The reason being, after a lengthy dead-ball, there's a chance that somebody involved in the game (players, coaches, fellow officials, scorekeepers, or timer) isn't paying attention. Sounding the whistle alerts everybody that play is about to continue.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:49pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I don't know if the book says so or not, but I do.

The reason being, after a lengthy dead-ball, there's a chance that somebody involved in the game (players, coaches, fellow officials, scorekeepers, or timer) isn't paying attention. Sounding the whistle alerts everybody that play is about to continue.
Do you mean the players that just walked back onto the court after getting instructions from their coach? Not sure why they wouldn't be paying attention.

I cant see how the coaches that just got done giving their team instructions could fall asleep in the lengthy amount of time it takes to get the players lined up to shoot a free throw.

The timer isn't paying attention seconds after sounding the horn? I see the scorer taking a nap at every timeout, so I guess there is a chance he might not be paying attention.

I have worked with a few partners with short attention spans, but I am pretty sure even those guys were coherent coming out of a time out and getting players lined up for free throws.

Blow your whistle or not in this situation, that is up to you, but come up with a better reason. Nobody is buying this one.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:56pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Do you mean the players that just walked back onto the court after getting instructions from their coach? Not sure why they wouldn't be paying attention.

I cant see how the coaches that just got done giving their team instructions could fall asleep in the lengthy amount of time it takes to get the players lined up to shoot a free throw.

The timer isn't paying attention seconds after sounding the horn? I see the scorer taking a nap at every timeout, so I guess there is a chance he might not be paying attention.

I have worked with a few partners with short attention spans, but I am pretty sure even those guys were coherent coming out of a time out and getting players lined up for free throws.

Blow your whistle or not in this situation, that is up to you, but come up with a better reason. Nobody is buying this one.
All of those people have other things going on. Players may be talking about who they are defending, coaches may be talking about the possible in-bounds play after a made basket, scorekeepers may be going over substitutes during the TO, my partners may be counting the number of players out on the court after the TO.

Never assume everybody is on the same page. It's far better to be overcautious than undercautious.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

After a timeout and the teams are ready to play (in position for the FT) no.

If they are late getting out of the timeout, yes.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:10pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
All of those people have other things going on. Players may be talking about who they are defending, coaches may be talking about the possible in-bounds play after a made basket, scorekeepers may be going over substitutes during the TO, my partners may be counting the number of players out on the court after the TO.

Never assume everybody is on the same page. It's far better to be overcautious than undercautious.
Ok, let's assume some of this is true.

1. To paraphrase a recent Secretary of State, what difference exactly does it make whether or not the coaches are paying attention?

2. Your partners are still counting players as you are administering the free throw? I sure hope you guys did this before putting the ball in play.

3. On most free throws, 7 of the 10 players on the court are going to be involved in the free throw. You don't think they are going to start paying attention when you step in and tell them how many free throws before bouncing the ball to the shooter if you don't blow your whistle? As for the other 3 players, I am pretty sure they will figure out pretty quickly that the game has started once the free throw is taken, regardless as to whether they are discussing their defensive matchups, or the coed they are going to hook up with after the game.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Officials manual

2.4.4.D.4 and 3.4.4.D.4
After the second horn to end the time-out or intermission, the administering official shall sound his/her whistle to indicate play is ready to resume.

However, not many sound their whistle if we're shooting free throws after time-outs.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:22pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
NFHS Officials manual

2.4.4.D.4 and 3.4.4.D.4
After the second horn to end the time-out or intermission, the administering official shall sound his/her whistle to indicate play is ready to resume.

However, not many sound their whistle if we're shooting free throws after time-outs.
Thank you.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Dec 19, 2013 at 06:24pm. Reason: clean up
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I know the administering official is supposed to whistle to resume play after a timeout. Do we still do that if we are returning with a free throw? I did the other night but gave a much quieter and quicker tweet.
What do others (especially those who are working the level you want to work and are on the way up) in your are do? Do that.

(Here, no.)
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:36pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What do others (especially those who are working the level you want to work and are on the way up) in your are do? Do that.

(Here, no.)
Some do and some don't. I would say that most don't though. I played it as safe as i could with the quieter quick tweet. I was trying to play it safe.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

In my area, all whistle to resume play after a time-out and before a FT. If being observed, you will get "dinged" if you do not whistle.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 05:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

The book says that we do, but we don't, so I won't.

Remember, when in Rome ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 06:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I try to do it, for the same reason I blow the whistle when a TO is followed by a throw in. The book tells me to (I don't recall an exception for FTs).

Frankly, I see no reason to do it in either case.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 08:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I have never done this, nor have I ever worked with anyone who did this.
you have never worked with me. I do it regularly.