The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I have seen this frequently in the past with girls HS games and always left it alone.

This is the first year I've noticed it in boys games. Last week I had a game and as the R, I jokingly said to the U2 to tell #24 to "stop wearing his shorts like a girl and unroll his waist band." To my surprise he actually told the kid to unroll the waist band, minus the "like a girl part."

The next night I noticed it on another player and talked about it with partners but decided against saying anything to the player. Of course the opposing coach, a known PITA, says, "it's not a big deal but are #3's shorts legal? The white showing on his shorts is kinda distracting." I just had the player tuck his string in but did not make him unroll them.

In both instances the logos weren't showing as I've often seen with the underarmour unis. Based on interpretation I suppose one could make a stink out of the excessive logos but I'm not going to be a plumber here unless instructed otherwise.

And part of it may be look at me stuff but for some it's also a matter of making the waist band tighter.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 09:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Moving Along Folks, Nothing To See Here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I have seen this frequently in the past with girls HS games and always left it alone.
Had it tonight in a girls varsity game. Right, or wrong, I ignored it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, officials are required to be uniform police. You MUST notice these things in pregame warm ups.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 07:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

But Judge, I Was Just Looking For A Label On A Rolled Up Waistband ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
You must notice these things in pregame warm ups.
Nothing like checking out a label above girls rear end during warmups while the P.A. system is playing Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines to catch the attention of the police officer standing in the corner of the gymnasium. Don't worry. We'll set up a collection to bail you out. Mark Padgett will be the treasurer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

2-4 ART. 5 . . . Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.

If we see it, we fix it, unroll the waistband, and wear them the way they were manufactured.

3-4 ART. 5 . . . A player not wearing the pants/skirt properly and above the hips and/or a player not tucking in a team jersey (front and back) designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt, shall be directed to leave the game as in 3-3-4; a charged time-out shall not alter this requirement.

Last edited by golfdesigner; Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 08:57am.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2013, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Unfortunately, officials are required to be uniform police. You MUST notice these things in pregame warm ups.
To say that you MUST notice these things in warm ups is a pointless statement. For one, these things cannot always be noticed when players are wearing warm ups over their uniforms. Secondly, in many instances it is not clear that they are in violation of the rules. Third, there are assignors out there who do not want you looking to enforce this type of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdesigner View Post
2-4 ART. 5 . . . Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.

If we see it, we fix it, unroll the waistband, and wear them the way they were manufactured.

3-4 ART. 5 . . . A player not wearing the pants/skirt properly and above the hips and/or a player not tucking in a team jersey (front and back) designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt, shall be directed to leave the game as in 3-3-4; a charged time-out shall not alter this requirement.
Nowhere does it explicitly say that rolling the waistband down is not wearing the shorts properly. And to instruct someone to "wear them the way they were manufactured." Well that is all subjective.

Many girls and women in NFHS, NCAA, and the WNBA roll the sleeves on their jerseys to make it almost like a halter top. Are you going to instruct them to wear there uniforms they way they were manufactured and insist they unroll the sleeves as well?
Old Mon Dec 23, 2013, 02:26pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:

With all due respect, there are plenty of areas of subjective/selective areas of enforcement in the books, depending on where one officiates, and this is one of them - at the HS and even lower college levels.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2013, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2-4 ART. 5 . . . Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly,
Yup. Exactly this. Verify with the COACH that the uniforms are legal and will be worn properly. That's all.

Quote:
Why... I've already done what the rule requires - I've verified with the COACH that they will be worn properly. Rule doesn't say anything about us examining their short area and checking to see what the proper way is to wear each article of clothing.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Dec 23, 2013, 04:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Wears Short Shorts ??? (The Royal Teens, 1958)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
The shorts were too long and rolling the waistband is the easiest way to make them a little shorter?
Checked with a female colleague at the laboratory today who played high school basketball a few years ago. BEAREF is correct.