The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Shorts

Anybody else think that wearing shorts looks "tacky" and very "unprofessional"? About 1/2 of the officials here in Michigan are now doing the shorts thing...and I hate it! I have a hard time taking any official seriously that looks like the only thing they are missing is a helicopter beanie on their head!
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

All I can say is that in Illinois, we are not allowed to wear anything but the official uniforn as stated in the rulebook. This was a mandate by our state association.

And yes, I think shorts on a volleyball official looks funny.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe
All I can say is that in Illinois, we are not allowed to wear anything but the official uniforn as stated in the rulebook. This was a mandate by our state association.

And yes, I think shorts on a volleyball official looks funny.

The rulebook this year allows for the wearing of shorts if approved by the state association.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Well, it's one of those custom things. You get used to seeing one thing, and then it changes, and you get used to that. Unless you're too old and delight more in carping about how the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

The players, coaches, and fans don't look at us anyway, so who cares what we wear?
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Let them go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Well, it's one of those custom things. You get used to seeing one thing, and then it changes, and you get used to that. Unless you're too old and delight more in carping about how the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

The players, coaches, and fans don't look at us anyway, so who cares what we wear?
I am an old geezer with the ugliest pair of legs this side of a chicken, so I would never be caught dead wearing shorts anywhere. But there are some very hot gyms where I work at, and if an official wants to wear shorts, more power to them. I really think FED is wrong is mandate no shorts, and I hope a lot of states decide that people can wear them.

Being professional as an official does not preclude wearing shorts.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

" Tacky "???

Do soccer officials look tacky wearing shorts?
Do the players look tacky wearing shorts?
In Ohio nearly ALL the officials wear shorts. When officiating in venues where the temps can get to 100 degrees +, black pants can be very warm. Sweat filled shirts and sweaty brows looks much tackier than two officials who are dressed alike and looking " cool ". While I respect you opinion, hundreds of officials accros the nation can't all be wrong. Nor can the NFHS when it allows states to circumvent this rule if the need arises. I will continue to wear shorts until mandated not to ( which by the way is 2009-2010 Season ).
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 07:13pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
The main problem with wearing shorts is that many times our less professional compatriots don't wear a decent pair of coaching shorts. Some female officials that I have seen have worn shorts that were so tight that they looked like they were spray painted on. And, other officials have worn shorts with a very short inseam that just doesn't look professional at all. The key is to wear a uniform that looks professional whether it is long pants or shorts. (However, I do think that black socks with black shoes look really tacky with shorts!)
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

I like black socks

Hey BEAR, I take it you were not a fan of Andre Agassi. On the tennis courts I wear black socks when I play,sometimes my shorts are black. But can we really look any funnier than we already do. My wife thinks its still funny to call me Felix Unger when I have my blue poly's on with my white shoes.....