The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Simultaneous Timeouts

Had a situation last night where player A1 was about to attempt his first free throw of 2. Before the first one, Coach A tells me I want a timeout if he makes the second one. I tell him, no problem Coach, "signal it when he makes it for me"

He makes the 1st free throw. Before the second free throw, I hear behind me Coach B yelling "Give me a timeout if he makes the second" I turn around and say "Signal it if he makes it"

Of course he makes it. Sure enough both coaches have their hands in the air, both are above their heads, calling a timeout. My partner, who is the R, wants to just give it to one team, but I tell him we can't ignore their obvious signals and by rule they are both charged with a time out.

After the game, my mentor compared it to a multiple foul, he said just pick the team who called it first and go with that. What say everyone? Is that a good analogy?
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

2010-11 Interps:

SITUATION 5: Team A scores a field goal. A1 requests a time-out from the lead official at the exact same time that the head coach from Team B requests a time-out from the trail official. RULING: Both teams are charged a time-out. If both request a 30-second time-out, the time-out duration shall be 30 seconds. If one team requests a 60-second time-out and the other a 30, the duration shall be 60 seconds. Once a time-out is requested and granted, it shall not be revoked. (5-8-3b)

(In practice, I agree with your mentor, though.)
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:41pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I like charging them both. One less TO that can be used later in the game.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

2013-2015 Officials Manual p.39 2.4.4 Time-outs:
A. General Provisions:
11. If opponents simultaneously request a time-out during a dead ball, charge a time-out to each (or better, hear or see one request before the other).
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

If you are going to have a simultaneous timeout, this is about the perfect situation in my opinion because you are certain that both were requested at the same time (as soon as the basket was made).
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
If you are going to have a simultaneous timeout, this is about the perfect situation in my opinion because you are certain that both were requested at the same time (as soon as the basket was made).
I agree. In the normal course of the game, "simultaneous" timeouts are not really simultaneous and I would agree with the mentor above who said give it to the one you saw first.

In THIS case, both warned you and both probably had their hands up before the basket - by definition both are at the same exact time. Simultaneous - charge to both.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Had a coach between foul shots in a varsity boys tournament game use all 5 of his timeouts with 0.1 left on the clock and his team ahead 1.never seen that before.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 02:55am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2010-11 Interps:

SITUATION 5: Team A scores a field goal. A1 requests a time-out from the lead official at the exact same time that the head coach from Team B requests a time-out from the trail official. RULING: Both teams are charged a time-out. If both request a 30-second time-out, the time-out duration shall be 30 seconds. If one team requests a 60-second time-out and the other a 30, the duration shall be 60 seconds. Once a time-out is requested and granted, it shall not be revoked. (5-8-3b)

Bob, in this situation who are you going to charge if you are only going to charge one timeout? What is your thinking on this? sure I think in most situations, see and grant one before the other. But this is about as perfect as you can get for the case play to handle fairly IMO.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Bob, in this situation who are you going to charge if you are only going to charge one timeout? What is your thinking on this? sure I think in most situations, see and grant one before the other. But this is about as perfect as you can get for the case play to handle fairly IMO.
Whichever one asked me first (or if it's a blow-out, the team that's ahead).