The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 10:34am
Often wrong never n doubt

Do they have to take the time out?

VB, 3 man. V team is throwing the ball in from the end line after a made basket by H. H is set up in a 2-2-1 press. I am T and in mid count almost to 4 when I whistle H for holding foul on a V player cutting to the ball. At almost the exact time I whistle for the foul but probably a moment before the V coach yells time out. I come out fist in the air and the hold sign at the spot of the foul. However both teams believe there is a time out. So both go to there benches while I'm reporting the foul. After about 20 seconds we get them to break huddle explaining there was no timeout and it was a foul. We did not charge V with a time out as we never granted one and it was only requested. Is this correct?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
VB, 3 man. V team is throwing the ball in from the end line after a made basket by H. H is set up in a 2-2-1 press. I am T and in mid count almost to 4 when I whistle H for holding foul on a V player cutting to the ball. At almost the exact time I whistle for the foul but probably a moment before the V coach yells time out. I come out fist in the air and the hold sign at the spot of the foul. However both teams believe there is a time out. So both go to there benches while I'm reporting the foul. After about 20 seconds we get them to break huddle explaining there was no timeout and it was a foul. We did not charge V with a time out as we never granted one and it was only requested. Is this correct?
In this case, I wouldn't report the foul until after the coach was aware of the foul call ruling prior to the TO. Ask him if he still wants it and proceed accordingly.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

At the spot of the foul "no..no..no -- before the TO request I have a foul" (or whatever words work for you).
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
In this case, I wouldn't report the foul until after the coach was aware of the foul call ruling prior to the TO. Ask him if he still wants it and proceed accordingly.
It's pretty simple one...just what he said above...
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

No they do not have to take the timeout, but if I am about to report the foul, I am not delaying reporting the foul just to stop them from going to the bench. It is possible that one of your partners in a normal situation might have acknowledged that a timeout is coming. But by rule no timeout has to be taken just because someone goes to the bench. Just do what you can to inform them there is no timeout and put the ball in play ASAP when everyone is ready.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:37pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No they do not have to take the timeout, but if I am about to report the foul, I am not delaying reporting the foul just to stop them from going to the bench. It is possible that one of your partners in a normal situation might have acknowledged that a timeout is coming. But by rule no timeout has to be taken just because someone goes to the bench. Just do what you can to inform them there is no timeout and put the ball in play ASAP when everyone is ready.

Peace

That is what we did. I reported the foul. One of my partners asked "Was there a timeout?"
I said "I had a foul first."
I ask Coach "Do you still want it?"
Coach says "No"
Partners go to the huddles and say "No time out let's play."
H Coach asks me "What was the call"
I say "#1 was holding before the TO."
I could tell by his body language,H Coach wasn't obviously not happy as this was #1's 4th foul in the 1st half. He also just now realized there was a foul instead of TO. He accepted it and we moved on after about 60 seconds of confusion.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

What you just described happens a few times a year in games I am involved in, where a coach thinks a timeout took place rather than a foul or a violation. And sometimes a timeout was requested at the same time a foul or violation was given and the whistle is assumed to be part of the timeout request. It is not a big deal, coaches get tunnel vision and think we are doing nothing but listening to them.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 03:35pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
That is what we did. I reported the foul. One of my partners asked "Was there a timeout?"
I said "I had a foul first."
I ask Coach "Do you still want it?"
Coach says "No"
Partners go to the huddles and say "No time out let's play."
H Coach asks me "What was the call"
I say "#1 was holding before the TO."
I could tell by his body language,H Coach wasn't obviously not happy as this was #1's 4th foul in the 1st half. He also just now realized there was a foul instead of TO. He accepted it and we moved on after about 60 seconds of confusion.
What's he doing in the game with three fouls in the first half?!