The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Do they have to take the time out? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96755-do-they-have-take-time-out.html)

jeremy341a Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:34am

Do they have to take the time out?

VB, 3 man. V team is throwing the ball in from the end line after a made basket by H. H is set up in a 2-2-1 press. I am T and in mid count almost to 4 when I whistle H for holding foul on a V player cutting to the ball. At almost the exact time I whistle for the foul but probably a moment before the V coach yells time out. I come out fist in the air and the hold sign at the spot of the foul. However both teams believe there is a time out. So both go to there benches while I'm reporting the foul. After about 20 seconds we get them to break huddle explaining there was no timeout and it was a foul. We did not charge V with a time out as we never granted one and it was only requested. Is this correct?

Adam Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 913867)
VB, 3 man. V team is throwing the ball in from the end line after a made basket by H. H is set up in a 2-2-1 press. I am T and in mid count almost to 4 when I whistle H for holding foul on a V player cutting to the ball. At almost the exact time I whistle for the foul but probably a moment before the V coach yells time out. I come out fist in the air and the hold sign at the spot of the foul. However both teams believe there is a time out. So both go to there benches while I'm reporting the foul. After about 20 seconds we get them to break huddle explaining there was no timeout and it was a foul. We did not charge V with a time out as we never granted one and it was only requested. Is this correct?

In this case, I wouldn't report the foul until after the coach was aware of the foul <s>call</s> ruling prior to the TO. Ask him if he still wants it and proceed accordingly.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:13am

At the spot of the foul "no..no..no -- before the TO request I have a foul" (or whatever words work for you).

JMUplayer Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 913869)
In this case, I wouldn't report the foul until after the coach was aware of the foul <s>call</s> ruling prior to the TO. Ask him if he still wants it and proceed accordingly.

It's pretty simple one...just what he said above...

JRutledge Thu Dec 12, 2013 01:05pm

No they do not have to take the timeout, but if I am about to report the foul, I am not delaying reporting the foul just to stop them from going to the bench. It is possible that one of your partners in a normal situation might have acknowledged that a timeout is coming. But by rule no timeout has to be taken just because someone goes to the bench. Just do what you can to inform them there is no timeout and put the ball in play ASAP when everyone is ready.

Peace

jeremy341a Thu Dec 12, 2013 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 914067)
No they do not have to take the timeout, but if I am about to report the foul, I am not delaying reporting the foul just to stop them from going to the bench. It is possible that one of your partners in a normal situation might have acknowledged that a timeout is coming. But by rule no timeout has to be taken just because someone goes to the bench. Just do what you can to inform them there is no timeout and put the ball in play ASAP when everyone is ready.

Peace

That is what we did. I reported the foul. One of my partners asked "Was there a timeout?"
I said "I had a foul first."
I ask Coach "Do you still want it?"
Coach says "No"
Partners go to the huddles and say "No time out let's play."
H Coach asks me "What was the call"
I say "#1 was holding before the TO."
I could tell by his body language,H Coach wasn't obviously not happy as this was #1's 4th foul in the 1st half. He also just now realized there was a foul instead of TO. He accepted it and we moved on after about 60 seconds of confusion.

JRutledge Thu Dec 12, 2013 01:42pm

What you just described happens a few times a year in games I am involved in, where a coach thinks a timeout took place rather than a foul or a violation. And sometimes a timeout was requested at the same time a foul or violation was given and the whistle is assumed to be part of the timeout request. It is not a big deal, coaches get tunnel vision and think we are doing nothing but listening to them.

Peace

jeschmit Thu Dec 12, 2013 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 914072)
That is what we did. I reported the foul. One of my partners asked "Was there a timeout?"
I said "I had a foul first."
I ask Coach "Do you still want it?"
Coach says "No"
Partners go to the huddles and say "No time out let's play."
H Coach asks me "What was the call"
I say "#1 was holding before the TO."
I could tell by his body language,H Coach wasn't obviously not happy as this was #1's 4th foul in the 1st half. He also just now realized there was a foul instead of TO. He accepted it and we moved on after about 60 seconds of confusion.

What's he doing in the game with three fouls in the first half?! :confused: