The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 01:47am
C'mon man!!

FT violation or no?

Gotta love girls games. Doing a sophomore girls game for a small tournament using HS rules. A1 is at the FT line and when she shoots she jumps in the air, kicks her feet forward across the plane and into the lane but lands with her feet behind the free throw line. Is this a violation or no? Thanks.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 02:27am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Gotta love girls games. Doing a sophomore girls game for a small tournament using HS rules. A1 is at the FT line and when she shoots she jumps in the air, kicks her feet forward across the plane and into the lane but lands with her feet behind the free throw line. Is this a violation or no? Thanks.
Violation.

NFHS 9-1-3e "The free thrower shall not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the edge of the free-throw line which is farther from the basket or the free-throw semicircle line."
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:34am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Violation.

NFHS 9-1-3e "The free thrower shall not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the edge of the free-throw line which is farther from the basket or the free-throw semicircle line."
I guess my real question is who is going to call this in reality? I didn't at the time but it bothered me enough to bring it here.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:39am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I guess my real question is who is going to call this in reality? I didn't at the time but it bothered me enough to bring it here.
I've never seen your situation happen but I will call it if I see it from now on.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

I'm not calling that.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 08:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not touching that one. By rule, it's a violation, but there's no disadvantage to the defense here. I know the rule doesn't require one, and I'm not always looking for one on FT lane violations, but there's no way I'm pulling this one out of the drain.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I'm not calling that.
Me neither.

imo, the purpose of the rule is to prevent gaining an advantage on rebounds or from jumping through the air toward the basket to make an easier shot (for some HS boys, probably a layup; form college and NBA, a dunk). This girl did neither.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I'm not calling this either! I'd like to ref a few more years, don't think I will by making these types of calls.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 09:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I've never seen your situation happen but I will call it if I see it from now on.
Why would you anxious to call this? Everybody in the gym would wonder why you were blowing your whistle.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 10:32am
NFHS Official

No way I get this. I might let her or the coach quietly know this is a violation, but not picking this nit.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 10:41am
Stubborn Member

I'm absolutely not making this call.

Calling that would create more of a problem than if you left it alone. The opposing coach has no idea if her feet crossed the plane of the free throw line (there's no way he/she sees this at their angle), and the shooter didn't gain advantage doing it either, so why bother creating an issue?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
me neither.

Imo, the purpose of the rule is to prevent gaining an advantage on rebounds or from jumping through the air toward the basket to make an easier shot (for some hs boys, probably a layup; form college and nba, a dunk). This girl did neither.
+1
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:15am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why would you anxious to call this? Everybody in the gym would wonder why you were blowing your whistle.
There is no part of my post that suggests I am anxious to make this call. Please don't assume that.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is no part of my post that suggests I am anxious to make this call. Please don't assume that.
I've worked with you, I know you wouldn't, you're too good for that.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Add one more to the not-calling list.