The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:00am
big jake

Death benefits for an official

Are there any death denefits for an officials that dies during a game? We had an official that passed away between games from a heart attack.
any information will be appreciated.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:05am
Do not give a damn!!

I think it would depend if they had insurance through NASO or the NF or even their state. I believe there is some benefits having known someone that died after a game. I am pretty positive you can make a claim if they held those types of insurance.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:05pm
big jake

Thanks brother!
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think it would depend if they had insurance through NASO or the NF or even their state. I believe there is some benefits having known someone that died after a game. I am pretty positive you can make a claim if they held those types of insurance.

Peace
The NFHS insurance does include a medical policy that includes a "Accidental Death" coverage but a heart attack isn't an accidental death...that would be something like being killed by a light fixture falling on you. And even if it were, the benefit is a mere $2500. It also mentions cirulatory coverage but I'm not sure what that means.

More info at http://www.dissingerreed.com/nfhs/officials

NASO might also have a medial/death coverage but, again, it would probably only cover accidental death that occurs in the course of officiating, not natural causes.

A general life insurance policy would probably be more advisable for anyone that needs life insurance.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Dec 05, 2013 at 04:57pm.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 05:01pm
Archaic Power Monger

I seem to remember reading that NASO has a benefit for members that die during a game of cardiac related illness. I'll dig more for you and see if I can find anything but calling NASO up should yield the information you need.

Edit: Here it is. "Heart or Circulatory Malfunction Death Benefit — In the event of an officiating-related cardiac death, NASO provides $5,000 coverage."

http://www.naso.org/Portals/0/downlo...rance_2012.pdf

Assuming of course this official was a member of NASO.

And my condolences to you for losing a fellow official.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 05:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The NFHS insurance does include a medical policy that includes a "Accidental Death" coverage but a heart attack isn't an accidental death...that would be something like being killed by a light fixture falling on you. And even if it were, the benefit is a mere $2500. It also mentions cirulatory coverage but I'm not sure what that means.

More info at Dissinger Reed: NFHS - Officials Association

NASO might also have a medial/death coverage but, again, it would probably only cover accidental death that occurs in the course of officiating, not natural causes.

A general life insurance policy would probably be more advisable for anyone that needs life insurance.
I just know that a fellow official helped a family get some money when an official died in the locker room after a game. I have no idea what that amount was or if it was a significant amount. I just know that a friend of mine said he helped in a claim. And I do not think you have to file just one claim or that the NASO or sports official benefits are going to exceed any normal policy with a health or life insurance benefit.

Peace