The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same thing here in my little corner of Connecticut. We only sound the whistle if something odd happens at the end of the period, and the whistle is needed for clarification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
In Ohio we are NOT to blow the whistle for a normal ending of a quarter/game.
Interesting, I'm curious to know what that justification would be, and I guess what I'm really wondering is what is the NEGATIVE of blowing the whistle? I can't think of any, but please share if you've heard one.

I know I've worked in enough loud gyms that there are times in a close game where its hard to hear the horn by itself, which to me is another reason to blow it dead, make your whistle preventative rather than reactive.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 10:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Book 'Em, Danno ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Interesting, I'm curious to know what that justification would be.
The only justification that I can give, and it's not a good one, is that, as far as I know, it's (sounding whistle to end the period) not in the mechanics manual. Maybe it's no longer the case, but back when we were using NFHS mechanics, here in 100% IAABO Connecticut, it wasn't in the NFHS mechanics manual, and I believe that it's not in the present IAABO mechanics manual either. Remember, Connecticut is The Land Of Steady Habits. We do things by the book here in Connecticut. JRutledge would probably accuse us of being "robot like". Guilty as charged. Compared to the rest of the country, we're a bunch of odd ducks here in New England. How often do you guys stop, and ask directions, from a farmer, to an assignment, and are told, "You can't get there from here".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 10:44am.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The only justification that I can give, and it's not a good one, is that, as far as I know, it's (sounding whistle to end the period) not in the mechanics manual. Maybe it's no longer the case, but back when we were using NFHS mechanics, here in 100% IAABO Connecticut, it wasn't in the NFHS mechanics manual, and I believe that it's not in the present IAABO mechanics manual either. Remember, Connecticut is The Land Of Steady Habits. We do things by the book here in Connecticut. JRutledge would probably accuse us of being "robot like". Guilty as charged. Compared to the rest of the country, we're a bunch of odd ducks here in New England. How often do you guys stop, and ask directions, from a farmer, to an assignment, and are told, "You can't get there from here".
Tying my shoes isn't in the manual and I still manage to do it before every game.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Get Those Manuals Updated ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Tying my shoes isn't in the manual and I still manage to do it before every game.
Thus:

Quote:
The only justification that I can give, and it's not a good one ...
Quote:
We're a bunch of odd ducks here in New England.

The powers that be must just assume that officials wear black loafers, or black Velcro shoes.

Wearing a black belt is in the IAABO manual, so it's easy for me to manage to wear one during every game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 12:18pm.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 01:44pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Had a scrimmage yesterday morning where the main gym was partitioned in half, but the auxiliary scoreboards -- for some reason -- did not have loud buzzers. it was necessary in this case to make sure everyone knew there was 0:00.0 on the clock.

My own observation about my part of Rome is that officials seem to follow the NCAAW guidelines. YMMV

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Stat-Man;913364]Had a scrimmage yesterday morning where the main gym was partitioned in half, but the auxiliary scoreboards -- for some reason -- did not have loud buzzers. it was necessary in this case to make sure everyone knew there was 0:00.0 on the clock.

This or if it is absolutely certain the horn should have sounded but didn't.
1-14 says the Red/LED light or Audible Signal shall indicate that time has expired for a quarter or extra period. As Rich said, this doesn't always mean the quarter is over. The absence of a whistle (as we have we have been instructed) communicates nothing has occurred just prior to the horn and so the quarter is now over. Sounding the whistle, on the other hand, communicates something HAS occurred just prior to the horn and so the quarter may not yet be over.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Put me in the camp of always blowing the whistle to signal the end of the period.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
The absence of a whistle (as we have we have been instructed) communicates nothing has occurred just prior to the horn and so the quarter is now over. Sounding the whistle, on the other hand, communicates something HAS occurred just prior to the horn and so the quarter may not yet be over.
Sounding the whistle doesn't necessarily mean that something has occurred, for example, blowing to start a quarter, or to get teams out of a timeout huddle on occasion, but I actually see your point in this case. Let me ask this question to all, what do you do when an inexperienced score keeper randomly blows the horn at the wrong time? Personally, if I think it has ANY impact on the game, I blow it dead, and we go POI. However, if it happens in the backcourt and the offensive player is still dribbling, I routinely see guys say out loud, "Play On!" or something. My point is this, in those situations, the horn isn't signaling the end of the quarter, or for that matter, even signaling the ball to become dead. The whistle just seems like a more consistent method, because it always stops play (yeah, yeah, I know, continuous motion, blah blah blah!!) But even in the case of continuous motion the players still know to stop.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 09:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE=billyu2;913393]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Had a scrimmage yesterday morning where the main gym was partitioned in half, but the auxiliary scoreboards -- for some reason -- did not have loud buzzers. it was necessary in this case to make sure everyone knew there was 0:00.0 on the clock.

This or if it is absolutely certain the horn should have sounded but didn't.
1-14 says the Red/LED light or Audible Signal shall indicate that time has expired for a quarter or extra period. As Rich said, this doesn't always mean the quarter is over. The absence of a whistle (as we have we have been instructed) communicates nothing has occurred just prior to the horn and so the quarter is now over. Sounding the whistle, on the other hand, communicates something HAS occurred just prior to the horn and so the quarter may not yet be over.
Nope. Not in my world.