The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Blow whistle to end quarter? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96697-blow-whistle-end-quarter.html)

frezer11 Wed Dec 04, 2013 09:44pm

Blow whistle to end quarter?

Just joined, my first post. Looking forward to the discussions!

Here's my question: There seems to be an ongoing discussion within my association about whether or not the calling official should sound the whistle when the quarter ends. I was always taught yes, blow it dead and waive it off immediately if it doesn't leave the hand in time (obviously), blow and give the open palm, clock stop signal if it is released in time but misses, and blow and count the basket if the buzzer goes while in the air. I haven't sen anywhere in the rule books or official's manuals where it says you don't have to, but then again, I also haven't seen anything that specifically says to do it.

So what do you all do? I get the argument that the horn is already signaling the end of the quarter, but what do coaches always tell their players? "Play till the whistle!" Let me know what you think!

Rich Wed Dec 04, 2013 09:52pm

The horn doesn't always end the quarter.

We always whistle. This will be a regional thing.

grunewar Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:05pm

whistle.

Thumper68 Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:15pm

I also whistle. It has been suggested to me that it is not necessary, but it seems to be an instinct to me to do it, so I keep doing it.

AremRed Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:24pm

Is there NCAA guidance on this issue?

Raymond Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 912894)
...!

I like what you have been taught.

Bad Zebra Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 912894)
....I haven't sen anywhere in the rule books or official's manuals where it says you don't have to, but then again, I also haven't seen anything that specifically says to do it...

First of all, welcome to the board, but...Nope. Ya won't find it 'cause it's not there. The Fed sees fit to address arm compression sleeves, uniform logos, undergarment color...where ya stand during time outs...but not what to do at the most critical point of a close game. It really would be simple...either yes or no. But for as long as I have been officiating, it's been debated and there seems to be no consistency whatsoever from one association to another, and in some cases one crew to another. Kinda curious.

jeschmit Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 912900)

From the NCAAW mechanics manual:

Quote:

When the ball is in flight on a last second shot attempt and the red light/LED lights are activated to end the half, game or overtime period, the official's whistle will sound when the goal is successful or unsuccessful and then immediately follow with the proper signal counting the basket and/or ending the period.
YMMV, but you're always safer in blowing the whistle to end the period...

frezer11 Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 912904)
First of all, welcome to the board, but...Nope. Ya won't find it 'cause it's not there. The Fed sees fit to address arm compression sleeves, uniform logos, undergarment color...where ya stand during time outs...but not what to do at the most critical point of a close game. It really would be simple...either yes or no. But for as long as I have been officiating, it's been debated and there seems to be no consistency whatsoever from one association to another, and in some cases one crew to another. Kinda curious.

Ha, man, it really would be such a simple thing to include just for the sake of consistency. Oh well, I'll continue to blow it dead until I'm told otherwise...

JRutledge Thu Dec 05, 2013 06:48am

I think a whistle should come every time from the calling or last second shot official. Not so much a regional thing as I feel this just makes it clear the quarter/half has ended.

Peace

bob jenkins Thu Dec 05, 2013 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 912900)

Yes, at least in NCAAW.

Blow the whistle when the period ends. If the shot is not released in time, then blow the whistle immediately. If the shot is released in time then blow the whistle when the try is either made or missed (so a few seconds after the horn).

constable Sat Dec 07, 2013 01:15am

Required in FIBA.

Not so for our IAABO/NFHS games here. Only if needed for clarification.

JetMetFan Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:06am

Welcome aboard!

It would make sense to blow the whistle because…what do coaches tell their players? “Play the whistle.” They hear a horn they might stop what they’re doing. They hear a whistle, they stop.

Add this to the fact that – apart from continuous motion situations – the whistle causes the ball to become dead and it’s a good idea.

scrounge Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:55pm

In Ohio we are NOT to blow the whistle for a normal ending of a quarter/game.

BillyMac Sat Dec 07, 2013 01:32pm

Separated At Birth ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 913282)
In Ohio we are NOT to blow the whistle for a normal ending of a quarter/game.

Same thing here in my little corner of Connecticut. We only sound the whistle if something odd happens at the end of the period, and the whistle is needed for clarification.